Epson stops in its tracks...

Started by frailer, February 21, 2010, 08:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

I had this problem with my HP LaserJet 500GN. We had just bought a new GB switch, and ran all new CAT 6 cable. I was convinced it was the network card going bad. I happened to have a replacement in the shop, so I swapped it out. The problem continued. I bought a used ethernet card from a local network guy. Problem continued. I gave up using it for a bit, and tried to talk the boss into getting a new one. Then we had a major rainstorm, and since we are remodeling our building, the new skylight leaked and we had to move all the equipment. Because the printer was now in a new location, I put a new, longer CAT 6 cable on the HP so it would reach the switch, and voila it worked. Despite being a new, out-of-the-bag cable, the cable itself was bad. Sometimes, the simple, stupid things are the ones to try, even if they seem redundant or miniscule.

BTW, your tag should read, "You can't make anything foolproof. Fools are too ingenious."
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

My brother keeps using the line "make it idiot proof" and I keep telling him in doing that you're just making better idiots.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

frailer

Quote from: digital@sig-1.com on March 02, 2010, 09:19:39 AMBecause the printer was now in a new location, I put a new, longer CAT 6 cable on the HP so it would reach the switch, and voila it worked. Despite being a new, out-of-the-bag cable, the cable itself was bad.
Now I'm wondering if replacing it with the new (supposed Cat5e...who really polices the labelling anyway?), cable, was enough? Maybe worth trying 10m of the Cat6?   :undecided:

But don't forget, I'm standing on the shore in my best warpaint and headgear waiting for the 'cargo' to come over the horizon in a galleon. Smoke signals say Admiral Joe at the tiller. 

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on March 01, 2010, 07:07:47 PMThis is not a desperate plea...I'm pursuing cheap options. USB's working fine, but...the ethernet NIC for the 7600 has the Epson Code: C82391. This is printed in white on the green board surface, towards the rear right. Someone may have one on the shelf. I'll pay freight at Steam Packet rate. This is only if you have one that's likely to be binned in the next cleanup...but ya never know.

My Epson guy has a test one he uses, and I can borrow it for testing, just a matter of when I can get out there to pick it up. If I diagnose the card as suss, I'll chase one on ebay.

Ummmm...mine is Epson Code: C82405

Looking at a photo of your C82391...it definitely is not an exact match of mine so I have no idea if they are interchangeable or not.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

:shrug:  Pretty much why I don't gamble, Joe.   :laugh:  Epson man back in his shop 1630 this afternoon. Pretty sure your number is the other number, but shall run it past him nonetheless.
Thanks for looking. Shall verify though.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

They do look similar. Even like they could both plug into the same slot. Whether my adapter would work with your printer or not though is anyone's guess. You wouldn't think the 7000 and the 7600 would be all that different...but ?????

Have you definitely determined your card is not working?

frailer

Quote from: Joe on March 02, 2010, 11:38:44 PMHave you definitely determined your card is not working?

Awaiting call-back from Epson guy as I post regarding your code No,. He's phoning Epson. No, haven't established it's not working. Should be able to go to service guy's next Tues/Wed...try his test one. that would be smarter. If I can confirm from him that yours would work, I'd make sure this one's kaput before getting you to send.
The suspense is killing me.
Oh, and we're re-visiting the 'streaky tints' issue again, Hasn't gone away, but hoping to pursue it more deeply this time. New plate guy in residence; based in Melbourne. He's the Great White Hope...   :laugh:
But seriously, I'm gonna have to jump up and down a bit on this. I want to see some more sophisticated optics to examine the problem. Annoying, to say the least. Prepress never gives you more than about 2 days without some problem or other... :undecided:

Joe

Quote from: frailer on March 03, 2010, 12:07:19 AM
Quote from: Joe on March 02, 2010, 11:38:44 PMHave you definitely determined your card is not working?

Awaiting call-back from Epson guy as I post regarding your code No,. He's phoning Epson. No, haven't established it's not working. Should be able to go to service guy's next Tues/Wed...try his test one. that would be smarter. If I can confirm from him that yours would work, I'd make sure this one's kaput before getting you to send.
The suspense is killing me.
Oh, and we're re-visiting the 'streaky tints' issue again, Hasn't gone away, but hoping to pursue it more deeply this time. New plate guy in residence; based in Melbourne. He's the Great White Hope...   :laugh:
But seriously, I'm gonna have to jump up and down a bit on this. I want to see some more sophisticated optics to examine the problem. Annoying, to say the least. Prepress never gives you more than about 2 days minutes without some problem or other... :undecided:

Fixed that for ya... :laugh:

frailer

Epson man thinks it is compatible. Just for the different market, is all. So, what I'll do is run his test one next week. If that works without stopping, I'll be 99% certain it's the card. Shall talk with you then on this. Thanks again.

Joe

Sounds good. Right now my money is riding the bet that there is nothing wrong with your card. (I've been wrong before) :laugh:

frailer

My reasoning goes, FWIW, which isn't much...if it's the Mini...or BM corruption of some sort, wouldn't that be also reflected when sending via USB? Maybe not. The USB's been fine, apart from some operator error.  :embarrassed:  If it's not the card, it's a difficult find, I think.

Joe

I'm thinking the IP address of the printer might have gotten reset back to default somehow. Power surge/drop or something. I've seen that happen a few times. Also, have you verified the cable is good to the printer? Have you plugged the printer into a different port on the switch? Have you verified on the printer itself that the IP address is set to the same address that the BM is looking for? No doubt it could be the card in the Epson. But I've never seen that happen which means nothing.

Farabomb

Fwiw the KPS here drops the Epson about one a week. A few reboots and it starts to play nice. Not that's a bit of help because I haven't figured out why it does this but you're not the only one with a flaky connection.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

frailer

Cable in different port tried. Same deal. BM definitely looking for same static IP. No apparent probs there, as I feed the right one in, as per Fuji advice.
Got a shedload on this coming week, so will be following week before I can fiddle, I think.

DigiCorn

Can you ping the IP? If you're using EFI you can run a test ping through the Client.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway