Epson Stylus Pro 7000

Started by David, September 21, 2011, 12:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

Quote from: frailer on September 21, 2011, 03:16:24 PMFWIW (probably nothing) there's a little black button on the ethernet card, which, when held in for 3 secs or summin, gets a spit-out of the full  Monty, including IP address. But that's a 7600.    :undecided:   The only way I've ever done it.

the manual says that button is the factory reset button.
gonna try it, wtf, it's already jacked, it will only print the test page. Can't sell to many of those    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

David

well, Frailer WINS!!!!

It printed out the config, but guess what...   the IP address is "none"...

arrrrrrrrrgggggggg
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: david on September 21, 2011, 03:32:17 PMwell, Frailer WINS!!!!

It printed out the config, but guess what...   the IP address is "none"...

arrrrrrrrrgggggggg

That actually makes sense since it was being used with USB it didn't need an IP address. So there is no way to set the IP address in the printer control panel huh? Somewhere there has to be a way to get an IP address in there.

Since that button is also the factory reset button try it again and see if it changed the IP address on the printout back to a factory default address.

Or you can use USB and share it out for others to use.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Chilbear

USB printer needs no IP as the RIP issues the "hotfolder" to print to. If  you use the ethernet connection then it needs to be on a separate subnet as the ethernet card does not have "rip" on it, nor a spooler. Think imagewriter - line by line plotting. You need to install a RIP before the printer in either case IMO.

Joe

We have Canon Printers with the network card in the printer. We have an EFI RIP on the Windows server but we don't have to use it. We can print to the Canon's straight from any networked PC or Mac but we do have to have an IP address assigned to the network card in the printer for it to be seen on the network and we also have to enter the IP address into the EFI RIP for it to be able to send to the printer.

The EpsonNet utility should find it on the network but if someone set the IP address to none you might need to use a networking protocol other than TCP/IP like the old NetBUI or even AppleTalk if it has it but I'm guessing it probably does not.

frailer

Hmmm... just looked at bus/plug-in for ethernet on the 7900. No knurled-screw slot for network card, like the 7600. Just an ethernet female only. So card 'hidden' inside?
I'd better start quizzin' on this so I know what to do when I have the 1st problem. 7900 is still a somewhat unknown/untamed beast to me at this stage.
Thanks for kicking this off, David. Given me a mild jolt.
FWIW, we have a static IP set for the Epson; mainly to do with Black Magic functioning properly.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Chilbear

Hmmm... for the record, my knowledge is over 5 years+ old. Looking at the specs of the 7900/9900 they appear to all support direct printing. My last Epson was the 9500 and it operated on a separate subnet from the server by crossover. It was my GMG proofing machine.

Joe

Quote from: Chilbear on September 21, 2011, 05:14:03 PMHmmm... for the record, my knowledge is over 5 years+ old. Looking at the specs of the 7900/9900 they appear to all support direct printing. My last Epson was the 9500 and it operated on a separate subnet from the server by crossover. It was my GMG proofing machine.

Oh I remember the days of crossover cables. No fun in the networking department back then. All cables looked the same but really weren't at close inspection.

andyfest

Joe I think the Epson Net Config utility that you suggested earlier is the way to go. I believe I used it to change the IP address of the ethernet card of a used 10600 plotter we bought so it would be a duplicate backup of the plotter we have on-line . It was done so we could unplug one and use the other in case of a breakdown.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Joe

Quote from: andyfest on September 21, 2011, 07:00:51 PMJoe I think the Epson Net Config utility that you suggested earlier is the way to go. I believe I used it to change the IP address of the ethernet card of a used 10600 plotter we bought so it would be a duplicate backup of the plotter we have on-line . It was done so we could unplug one and use the other in case of a breakdown.

The problem is though...the EpsonNet utility isn't seeing the printer?

One thing Chilbear mentioned was a crossover cable. If this is an older printer I wonder if it needs a crossover cable to work properly. I'm sure the newer ones don't have to have it but if it is an older printer it might.

David, when you have it connected to the network do you see an orange light on the network card in the printer?

David

ok, back at it.

It has 3 lights on the back next to the network plug, it blinks green and yellow (on occasion) and the 3rd light is not lit. It has a USB, Network, and a serial connection on the back with the little black reset button.
The card is a 10Base-T/100Base-TX Interface card.
DHCP is off

I currently have it plugged into my PC via USB and the Epson Net config doesn't see it, yet it does see my 9600 (which has an Oris Rip in front of it).
I thought that even though it goes through a RIP, it still needs an IP address, doesn't the RIP has to know who it is controlling?

It was originally hooked up to a Mac via USB with the EFI RIP (unknown version) installed on the Mac. I'm going to see if I can get a hold of the EFI software (it's in another building) so I can hopefully get that installed to see if that will get me going.
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

So what happens if you unplug the USB and plug a network cable into it? EpsonNet doesn't see it still? And does the light change to orange? On our old Epson 5000 the light had to be orange or it was not communicating with the network.

David

Tried that before, a no show in the utility, I'll be trying again here soon, too many projects at one time... gawd

got the EFI software now, going to try to load it, of course it has a dongle code, so I'll be making a phone call to who knows where.

deep breath...  out with the bad, in with the good....
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: david on September 22, 2011, 10:19:59 AMTried that before, a no show in the utility, I'll be trying again here soon, too many projects at one time... gawd

got the EFI software now, going to try to load it, of course it has a dongle code, so I'll be making a phone call to who knows where.

deep breath...  out with the bad, in with the good....

EFI is going to want the IP address of the printer...unless you are going to use the USB connection.

Chilbear

The RIP install may set up it's own Pipe to the printer via local port. Windows is smart that way.  :sarcasm: