Epson 9800 image skew

Started by Farabomb, July 23, 2013, 11:48:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

Don't know if I'm using the proper term but here's what's going down. It doesn't happen all the time, in fact I can send a multiple form job and some will be fine and some are way off.

When I go to back up the forms one side will be dead nuts on the marks and the other side will be anywhere from .0625 to over .125 off. Since it's not consistent I don't know where to start but is there an adjustment in the epson I can make to lessen it? I use 2 different types of stock in it. Our highend proofing stock (proofline matte photo paper on either 24" or 42" rolls) and lowend uncoated "impress" paper.

I do have a slight issue with the spindle the paper goes on. The grey piece that is pinned is pretty much shattered now thanks to the guy that replaced me for a little while. It was a little bit cracked before but now it's pretty much fucked. It moves on it's own and I'm now thinking that might have something to do with it. I may have to take a look at it an see if I can rig something to keep it in one place.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Diddler

Quote from: Farabomb on July 23, 2013, 11:48:25 AMDon't know if I'm using the proper term but here's what's going down. It doesn't happen all the time, in fact I can send a multiple form job and some will be fine and some are way off.

When I go to back up the forms one side will be dead nuts on the marks and the other side will be anywhere from .0625 to over .125 off. Since it's not consistent I don't know where to start but is there an adjustment in the epson I can make to lessen it? I use 2 different types of stock in it. Our highend proofing stock (proofline matte photo paper on either 24" or 42" rolls) and lowend uncoated "impress" paper.

I do have a slight issue with the spindle the paper goes on. The grey piece that is pinned is pretty much shattered now thanks to the guy that replaced me for a little while. It was a little bit cracked before but now it's pretty much fucked. It moves on it's own and I'm now thinking that might have something to do with it. I may have to take a look at it an see if I can rig something to keep it in one place.

Had the same problems that you described. My fix was to wrap the the end that is cracked with a shitload of tape to hold the roll in place. Not a very technical fix but it worked!
You can't polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

mc hristel

Sounds like the skew is likely the busted spindle like you think. I know you can order new spindles if it comes to that since we've had to replace ours a couple of times. We've had the pins that hold the fins that center the roll on the spindle bust off and the fins don't stay open.

The other idea I have is it "could" be is a motor going bad. I believe there is a separate motor for both the left and right side, so if one is having issues it could be causing one side of the paper to advance slower than the other.

Have you been seeing any ghosting or double images?

DigiCorn

oh... my post didn't post...

On the SureColor series, there's a menu option that says, "media tension." Play with this setting. There's also another tension setting I forgot the name of; set it for "periodically."  Finally there should be a "media adjustment," option. You print out 20" (500 cm), measure and then plug in the reading. This usually fixes skew.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Fontaholic

Quote from: Farabomb on July 23, 2013, 11:48:25 AMDon't know if I'm using the proper term but here's what's going down....

{snip}

....it's pretty much fucked.

Dunno about this being the proper term, but it sounds like an accurate one to me!   :tongue:

Cheers, John the Fontaholic