Profile to SWOP
0 (0%)
Profile to press
3 (33.3%)
Profile whats a profile.
2 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Santa

Installed a new Proofer a few months ago and trying to fine tune the color.  My old way of proofing was to profile it to our press...i.e run a set of swatches on press, read em in, create a profile, optimize to profile.

Installer talked to me about running to a standard i.e SWOP or Gracol so trying to see what the opinions are on either side.

DCurry

Your installer is correct. A shop I used to work in did it backwards, too, but then when anything changes on the press you wind up chasing color on your proofer. It's better to proof to a known condition (like SWOP or Gracol) so you know your proofs are always right. When something doesn't match, you can verify the proof and rule out that variable when troubleshooting.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

born2print

In a nutshell, we profile to GraCol (G7) and then the presses are supposed to start at normal house densities and go from there. We also run a ton of GCR though so they can't move color on press as much as the days before GCR.
Profiling to a press just doesn't seem to be the way to go in the long run, for instance, what if you have a bunch of different presses?
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

David

we do gracol and swop, and all the others too. We can output to all standards, even match the stupid proofs off your inkjet printer at home.
it's a PITA, but it works great.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

andyfest

Quote from: Santa on May 23, 2014, 12:14:30 PMInstalled a new Proofer a few months ago and trying to fine tune the color.  My old way of proofing was to profile it to our press...i.e run a set of swatches on press, read em in, create a profile, optimize to profile.

Installer talked to me about running to a standard i.e SWOP or Gracol so trying to see what the opinions are on either side.
We installed our new proofer using the GraCol 7 standard. It doesn't make sense to chase the press anymore when all of our clients generally run to that standard. Besides our pressmen don't know shit from putty.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro