Pitstop: Making all solid black knockout with action list

Started by joch230, March 25, 2021, 01:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joch230

What I'm looking for is a Pitstop action list type method to have 100%K knockout rather than overprint for a toner i300 press.  I can do it with a Prinergy refiner.
Thanks.

Tracy

There is an action under global changes "Change Overprint"

joch230

Quote from: Tracy on March 26, 2021, 11:30:35 AM

OK. I do see that. It will allow you to overprint black or knockout white. What most people want when printing with ink. But I don't see it letting you tell it to knockout all black and overprinting colors like you can with Prinergy. See attached. With toner printers, you get muddied colors when you overprint black and some colors. I'm thinking there isn't a similar function in Pitstop.

DigiCorn

IIRC, I used to do a find and replace action for certain colors, and then save the definition to the local color list, and save the find and replace as an action so on certain jobs that required this, I had it automated.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

abc

Can be easily done. Just need to select what you want and then change it to knockout.

But be aware black can be defined 4 ways in PDF.

Is it only Solid K you need to knockout?
Will upload an Action List for you.

motormount

Quote from: joch230 on March 26, 2021, 01:01:04 PM
Quote from: Tracy on March 26, 2021, 11:30:35 AM

OK. I do see that. It will allow you to overprint black or knockout white. What most people want when printing with ink. But I don't see it letting you tell it to knockout all black and overprinting colors like you can with Prinergy. See attached. With toner printers, you get muddied colors when you overprint black and some colors. I'm thinking there isn't a similar function in Pitstop.

But printing solid k - on konika 6085 or igen4 at least - you get a poor/weak black.
It's all right for type or small areas, but looks very ugly as an A4/letter page background.

- unless you're talking about solid k object half overprinting on ''rich'' background and half printing straight to paper.

joch230

This would be using Pitstop server and Switch automated to do preflight and putting the correct electronic trim box for impostion (done with Impostrip).
Quote from: abc on March 27, 2021, 01:13:11 PM
Can be easily done. Just need to select what you want and then change it to knockout.
I'm thinking we are seeing RGB black, Process black, grayscale black and possibly a spot black. Not positive what is predominate. If you had an action list that has the basic logic, if it misses anything we would know how to tweak it. Thank you!

But be aware black can be defined 4 ways in PDF.

Is it only Solid K you need to knockout?
Will upload an Action List for you.

abc

joch230

abc

Let me know how it goes. I didn't have time to test it at all, so it might need tweaking.

joch230

I just did a simple test that most certainly worked. The before is me using the Acrobat separation viewer and unchecking the black separation before running the action list. The after is after running the action list...the black is knocking out and not overprinting. Much appreciated!