Migration assistant to new mac

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, January 16, 2018, 10:19:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspdfppdfxhd

This may be a dumb question, but...

If you are migrating an old computer from a time machine backup to a new one, will the pitstop or other plugins still work? What i mean is won't there be 2 running at the same time if the old machine is still running? I should know the answer in about an hour but it's really bugging me.

Joe

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on January 16, 2018, 10:19:28 AMThis may be a dumb question, but...

If you are migrating an old computer from a time machine backup to a new one, will the pitstop or other plugins still work? What i mean is won't there be 2 running at the same time if the old machine is still running? I should know the answer in about an hour but it's really bugging me.

It will try but will probably tell you it is already activated on another computer unless you have a volume license without using all of them. Or a floating license where that product key isn't in use at the time you launch it on the new one. If it is just a single license you will have to de-activate it on the old machine before you can use it on the new machine.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

pspdfppdfxhd

Thought so, just trying to get prepared for the shenanigans ahead when launching for the first time.

Thanks

pspdfppdfxhd

Yes that's what it did Joe, (regarding pitstop) plus had to logout of CC because we're already running 2 macs on 1 licence

pspdfppdfxhd

Worked OK though, and that 5K display is very very sharp. And its much quicker opening and closing apps, files. 32GB of ram isn't hurting either.

I guess they'll expect more work out of me now though.

DigiCorn

After migration, dump all your preferences, and create new ones - especially on CC
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

pspdfppdfxhd

Will do that when time allows and I can figure out how to do it. Some time in 2019 I am estimating

pspdfppdfxhd

All people over 50 should get this 5K display. Soothing to the eyes, sharp from corner to corner. Relaxing.

pspdfppdfxhd

But me thinks the gamut is larger.... very bright colors. Maybe not suitable for print work? Hmmm :drunk3:

pspdfppdfxhd

pspdfppdfxhd

For example, I am seeing colors I have never seen before on a monitor. Like I saw an orange on a wesite that looked like out of the can PMS 021. Weird.

Joe

Did someone slip you some LSD while you weren't looking? I have a 5K Mac also haven't noticed any unusual colors. :rotf:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: Joe on January 17, 2018, 04:38:54 PMDid someone slip you some LSD while you weren't looking? I have a 5K Mac also haven't noticed any unusual colors. :rotf:

Nope, but maybe its due to the fact that the old imac was about 8 years old and the 2010 variety that heated up the display. There are bands burned into it from the heat. But i did hear that the gamut on these is wider than than the old apple rgb or adobe rgb of former imacs, so maybe my observation is valid.

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: Joe on January 17, 2018, 04:38:54 PMDid someone slip you some LSD while you weren't looking? I have a 5K Mac also haven't noticed any unusual colors. :rotf:

mmmmmm, wonder what lsd would be like, never really did get into any drugs in my life, just plain old beer and vodka.

pspdfppdfxhd

Should change my avatar soon, the holidays are over damnit.