Fonts as Zero Bytes on SMB Share

Started by AaronH, November 25, 2019, 01:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

I also recommend .zip ping the fonts in a 2nd backup to double down, just in case.

As anyone with iTunes knows, it can be a bitch sometimes. 12 years ago I committed ALL my CDs to Apple lossless format and purged my collection in favor of digital. For some reason, iTunes duped my collection during a transfer from a failing NAS to a newer NAS, and now I have a second copy of each file with a -1 after it. There's 19,000+ files, in thousands of folders and subfolders, so manually deleting them is really NOT an option.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on April 26, 2021, 12:09:37 AM
As anyone with iTunes knows, it can be a bitch sometimes. 12 years ago I committed ALL my CDs to Apple lossless format and purged my collection in favor of digital. For some reason, iTunes duped my collection during a transfer from a failing NAS to a newer NAS, and now I have a second copy of each file with a -1 after it. There's 19,000+ files, in thousands of folders and subfolders, so manually deleting them is really NOT an option.

So they are on a Mac disk and you want to delete them and not rename them? From terminal navigate to the folder where they are located and enter this: rm *'-1'*

That will delete all files that have -1 in the name.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

No. They are on a NAS, which I believe is Linux.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on April 26, 2021, 10:19:44 AM
No. They are on a NAS, which I believe is Linux.

You can do it pretty much the same way on Linux from the command line. Just need to make sure ssh is enabled on the NAS and then SSH into it from Windows or a Mac.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.