News:

Main Menu

JDF creating job folders

Started by mojo_rizin2, April 23, 2008, 05:34:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mojo_rizin2

I'd like to have the Backstage job folders created using JDF. Is anybody doing this? I'm not sure it is even possible, just an idea.

David

I've never done it that way, but I'm sure it could be done.
Where is the JDF coming from?
How are you bringing it into Esko?

I would think you could set up a hot folder that has a chain set to create the job structure and then populate the whatever folder(s) with the files.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

mojo_rizin2

I'm not sure where the JDF file would come from, I'm thinking Backstage based on xml from filemaker? This is a stretch for me, but I want to populate the Backstage job folder fields with xml from filemaker. What do you think??

David

ehh,
you're over my head on that one.

Our JDF workflow:
It starts with the estimators entering in the initial parameters into our MIS system (Prism), which the CSR's get and then it is then pulled into Metrix (to create the impose templates and to set up cutting/folding/stitching data for the bindery. This is then exported out so that each department gets the parts of the JDF that they need.
We get the impose template, the pressroom gets the paper info and colors, the bindery gets the cutting/folding/stitching info.

Are you guys currently using JDF or just wanting to?
Are you wanting to export the JDF out of Esko to get the cutting/folding /stitching data (for bindery) and the CIP3 (for press)?
Livin' la Vida Loca

mojo_rizin2

Are you guys currently using JDF or just wanting to?
Are you wanting to export the JDF out of Esko to get the cutting/folding /stitching data (for bindery) and the CIP3 (for press)?
[/quote]

No were not, and unfortunately I think Its way over my head at this point. I'm trying to understand it, but..... They have a class at the upcoming users group that I plan on sitting in. I just want to be able to populate the fields in the job folder with the information from the order at this point. With thes fields completed that could drive some smartmarks.

David

sounds do-able, but that's in another direction than what we are doing.
I've played with the fields in the job ticket. I was doing some Hotfolder/Pitstop server/preflight/Normalize/color-manage/impose/email reports and stuff like that, so I know it can be done (to what degree depends on your frustration level).

good luck.
David
Livin' la Vida Loca

mojo_rizin2

Yeah it sounds do-able. I think I will have to talk to a MIS guy to find out how. I've played around with the job folder as well. Customer I.D order I.D, colors, etc, and been able to build smartmarks that query those fields for tagline and tagline rotation. But I had to fill out the fields manually. I want the data to come from filemaker automaticly.

David

good luck and may the force be with you.

cheers,
David
Livin' la Vida Loca

mojo_rizin2

Thanks for replying David, good luck to you. We need more ESKO people on this forum!

David

for sure, I think it's just me and you and zimmy.

I think there are one or two others, but I forget who.
I know there are some that post over at PP (the dark side).
Livin' la Vida Loca

xmoles

Create a folder structure jdf I just did.

Although it would be ideal to create the jdf from a program (type Hiflex) and it would be my track.

With links, color management, screen rulings, actions etc, etc