"How QuarkXPress became a mere afterthought in publishing"

Started by tuff_gong, January 14, 2014, 11:20:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

born2print

My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

Joe

Good read. One user comment stands out to me and is exactly how I always felt dealing with Quark:

Quotebut holy cow, if you somehow needed to reinstall Quark and misplaced a license key...well, it would be easier to pass an ammendment to the Constitution than to get help from Quark. They treated us like common criminals.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

yep, I lived through the conversion and hated Quark for not moving over to OS X faster than they did, that was just a pure stupid move.. or non move as the case may be.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: david on January 14, 2014, 11:54:02 AMyep, I lived through the conversion and hated Quark for not moving over to OS X faster than they did, that was just a pure stupid move.. or non move as the case may be.

At the time it didn't seem that stupid as at one point Apple was close to folding up shop and going the way of the do-do bird.

gnubler

One of the comments:

QuoteBack in 2006 there was an epic thread in the Macintosh Achaea, in which a hilariously transparent shill for Quark, user WizenPub, went on and on about the (forthcoming) awesomeness of Quark 7 over InDesign. He lasted 36 posts before being sent East of Eden for his troubles. Good times!

Sound familiar? Poor Shelly...
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Possum

I see near the end of the article, the writer isn't too fond of Adobe's Cash Cow. Hmmmmm.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

frailer

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Possum

Quote from: Joe on January 14, 2014, 11:52:05 AMGood read. One user comment stands out to me and is exactly how I always felt dealing with Quark:

Quotebut holy cow, if you somehow needed to reinstall Quark and misplaced a license key...well, it would be easier to pass an ammendment to the Constitution than to get help from Quark. They treated us like common criminals.

Sounds a lot like the time we upgraded the Suite and the case and disks from the previous version had "disappeared." Adobe has a particular phone number to call if you lost your serial number. Guess what? You call that number and tell them you lost the serial but have the invoice and all to verify who you are, and they can't help you.

Joe

I'll bet they would have helped you upgrade to the latest version.

Possum

We'd already bought it, we just needed the old serial for some reason to get it activated or registered or something. I ended up doing a work around.

David

Just now got the email telling me Quark 10 is now available to install on the Macs here

oh yay    :hangme:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

born2print

um yeah, us too, then 2 weeks of Quark "service" calls later, QLA server still won't see it and we had to give up and insist on a stand-alone copy
(they even gave us incomplete reg. codes at one point! lolz)

Possum

Well, when those numbers get too long, you're bound to miss a digit here and there.

born2print