Main Menu

Reducing pdf size

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, August 30, 2023, 05:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy

you might be at your limit

I did find an Adobe file reducer it's free

DCurry

Get rid of any profiles, metadata, alternate images. Make sure fonts are subset. If all else fails, go super-low on the image res (like 36 psi instead of 72.)

When they complain, and they will, tell them that's what it took to get to their desired size.

(I do disagree with Tracy's suggestion to make an X1A, place in Indy, then export to PDF. Only because there is no reason to do the first step of making the X1A because you can apply flattening when you export from Indy.) Also, in my experience flattening often makes the file bigger.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Skryber

I come across this problem all the time. My issue is they want to attach CLE Course materials in emails, not link. It's dumb bc they are provided a QR code to download the material during the course but then they want to follow up with it attached in an email after the course is over. If they wanted to keep it, they would have saved it. Or just use the QR code again.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: Tracy on August 31, 2023, 09:02:31 AMyou might be at your limit

Yes, there's a limit to everything. Trying to convince them to back off on the transparency somehow does not go over well.

There's one page with 3 pictures on top of each other. 1. The face of person with a clipping path for text runaround 2. The shadow of the person's head 3. The person's head with a faded background. Yup, 3 high res. photos stacked on top of each other.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Tracy

I know it's a lot of pages but you could export as .jpgs
if you have a workflow to combine it might work
ugh!  ;D

I have no idea what size it will end up but who knows?
please sign my disclaimer!

Joe

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on August 31, 2023, 11:35:12 AM
Quote from: Tracy on August 31, 2023, 09:02:31 AMyou might be at your limit

Yes, there's a limit to everything. Trying to convince them to back off on the transparency somehow does not go over well.

There's one page with 3 pictures on top of each other. 1. The face of person with a clipping path for text runaround 2. The shadow of the person's head 3. The person's head with a faded background. Yup, 3 high res. photos stacked on top of each other.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Try running the Pitstop action for "remove irrelevant objects". It does wonders for PDF's where the designer likes to cover things up on a page with a white box instead of removing them.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

If it were me, since this if for the web, I would rasterize any pages with transparency, downsample and make them rgb. Keep all fonts as live, not outlined (a lot of vector objects will make the file larger, it's all about the nodes).

Nobody will be able to tell the difference between the original hi-res and the rasterized version on the internet.

YMMV
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Wait...so they are for displaying on the internet? Crap that is easy. Convert to 72 dpi jpegs compressed to hell and back. You can get them under a megabyte that way.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

pspdfppdfxhd

Thanks, slight reduction but still overweight.

born2print

Too bad about the page count. Sometimes when I have a PDF that won't reduce enough, I screen-shot it then save as pdf. No one has ever called me on it yet  8)
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

born2print

Ooooh that gives me an idea, do you think you have just a few offending pages?
you could do a trick like that then combine them?

DigiCorn

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on August 31, 2023, 12:31:55 PMThanks, slight reduction but still overweight.

Let's keep it to prepress. My weight gain is due to a change in medication, thank you.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Tracy

hmm I wonder if the people demanding the small pdf can tell you how to do it?  ;D

born2print

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: born2print on August 31, 2023, 12:36:41 PMOoooh that gives me an idea, do you think you have just a few offending pages?
you could do a trick like that then combine them?

I exported the 110 page pdf as single pages to see if any single pages stood out as overweight. Not really, at least half of them seem larger than you might think they should be.

I give up. I gave it my semi autistic best prepress shot but f**k it now!