XMF Problem

Started by Tracy, March 30, 2020, 12:40:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on April 07, 2020, 10:23:54 AM
Ok my chip is now running at 85 Celsius, 185 F
Is this normal?

Seems a bit high. Water boils at 212° F. :hot:

Does it have internal fans including a CPU fan in it? If so are they working?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

all fans are working

Joe

Take a look at this page and find your CPU to see what temps should be. Looks like some actually do run in that area.

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000687.htm

Tracy

thanks I will keep an eye out on the temps!

frailer

Quote from: Tracy on April 07, 2020, 12:43:05 PM
all fans are working

How old is it? They can get really clagged with dust. Left unattended to, can be a real issue. I'd only ever use the static-free aerosol, and always have an earthing wrist strap on. A Fujifilm guy in the past took a previous one outside and did it there.
But you gotta be careful, statics-wise.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on April 04, 2020, 11:19:12 AM
Have to agree with Slappy. Servers are built to run.

After we got our previous HP one about 12 years ago, the woman who was hired to lead us into digital in-house, who had no intention of ever teaching me anything (a whole other story), wanted to shut it down nightly. The HP guy who'd been in to upgrade the RAID setup said '24/7'.
Now that was an interesting discussion with her...  :death: :banghead:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Tracy

I think it's 6-7 years old, not too old in my opinion.
I think it's partially my fault, I was never taught how to monitor it.
I am watching it pretty well now, still think we need a new one and a license!!!!!!!!!
working from home now, hope the pressman is monitoring it!
I can remote in also but I can't watch it as much if I were there, lots more steps to work from home
I must not be doing it right!  :laugh:

DigiCorn

That's funny. The bar computer died a few weeks back... well, not died... it would boot up and shut off. I immediately thought it was an overheating problem, but we got a new driveway and a ton of cement laid last summer and everything was covered with dust so even though I had it covered during that time, I decided to take off the cover and blow out all the extra dust. There was quite a bit! First I used cans of compressed air. I started it back up, but then it shut down again... but a little more time elapsed. I figured I didn't get all the dust, so knowing there is no moisture in my leaf blower (like there could be in a compressor), I blew out the remaining dust with it. Same thing happened... so I took the cover off and ran it so I could watch the fans. The CPU fan was starting and stopping randomly, so I figured that makes sense; that's my issue. Checked all the connections, made sure the solder was good and tried again. Within seconds of the CPU fan shutting off, the computer shut down, so voila!

Ordered a new cpu fan, heat sink and thermal paste on Amazon (about $27), and the predicted Prime delivery time was over a month away! Not a priority machine, so I ordered it. After 2-3 days of working from home, and homeschooling a 6 and 10 year old, I decided I need that fan ASAMFP because I need to spend sometime in the bar! I decided to call local shops and see if they had an old AM2+ cpu fan and heat sink. First place I called had it... for $20! I went right over to get it, and asked about the thermal paste. He didn't have a tube he could sell me, but he gooped some on and I rushed home to install. Fixed everything!
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Tracy

I'm thinking I need a new chip fan even tho it's working, maybe not working properly

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on April 09, 2020, 02:44:12 PM
I'm thinking I need a new chip fan even tho it's working, maybe not working properly

If the fan is working it may need the CPU(s) pulled and cleaned off and new thermal paste applied. I wouldn't attempt this unless you are sure you know how to do it.

impodave

Quote from: Tracy on March 30, 2020, 12:40:10 PM
anybody seen this or have any suggestions?
If it doesn't work tomorrow, I will have to call Fuji, and my boss has not updated my license so it will be a pretty costly
phone call I think.

Your boss and mine must be cut from the same cloth .... :death:
<<<<<< Here's my Grandkids once again -- they're growing up way too fast !!    Fuji XMF V6.8.2 Complete, Mac OS, Adobe Creative Suite, Epson 7900/EFI XF V4.0, Fuji Dart 4300E, Komori L528 5 color, Komori L429P 4 color,  Heidelberg PM46 2 color, Ricoh, Kyocera, Xante Impressia and a shop full of finishing stuff ...

Tracy

Phone calls are 250$ I thought it was more, still a lot tho!

Tracy

Quote from: Joe on April 09, 2020, 03:59:18 PM

If the fan is working it may need the CPU(s) pulled and cleaned off and new thermal paste applied. I wouldn't attempt this unless you are sure you know how to do it.

I did stay at a holiday inn express last night!

I would never attempt it!  :laugh:
Thanks for the tip Joe! yeah it needs something for sure!

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on April 13, 2020, 01:05:16 PM
Quote from: Joe on April 09, 2020, 03:59:18 PM

I did stay at a holiday inn express last night!

I would never attempt it!  :laugh:
Thanks for the tip Joe! yeah it needs something for sure!

Well that makes you qualified for computer repair...and brain surgery!

pspdfppdfxhd

It's not rocket science!