News:

Main Menu

CMYK Spot

Started by Tracy, January 30, 2020, 12:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy

I have 3 versions of a job
and one of them is coming out LAB Spot the others are CMYK Spot
what the heck is going on, they say they are all CMYK Spot.

Had changed them to process, but I need them back to spot.
any ideas? I tried changing to CMYK Spot in pitstop for the 1 item, just to get through
it till I can figure it out, but its not changing there either, not sure what Im doing wrong.

scottrsimons

I'm sure you have checked your PDF at every step of your process, but want to ask so that there is no question. And is the Spot the same at every step?

And it could be that one Spot is a newer color that does not have a CMYK breakout in your RIP. You might need to make it a "Special" Spot to keep it the way you want.

Love that Xrite have bought Pantone and now bastardized it. With 500 million different Pantone libraries now. :sarcasm:
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

David

are you wanting to do this in Illustrator or the PDF with Pitstop?

If Illy, you could export the swatch library from a good one and then import it into the bad one, delete the bad colors and replace with the good one, possibly.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Is this vector objects? You should be able to do it with Global Change. Just make sure you are using the CMYK spots for your target from the Pantone library and not lab.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

Yes vector, I tried global change picked alternate color CMYK Spot, it did nothing
They have the same logo, I tried copy pasting one logo to another illy file.
I'm sure it's me rushing it, I am so busy.

So these are templates for online business cards, Smart me decided to convert to process
they print digitally, so the copy guy goes to print one that I had to typeset and says the color is off
actually he is been printing the color wrong forever.
So I have to get it back to where it was.

The online templates are the ones that I got back to the original cmyk spot
so I still have time for the Generic one we print here, they just ordered 10,000 so I'm good
when I have time, I will try all the suggestions and get back to what I find.
also in researching the LAB Spot one has been LAB spot forever, and I think it prints the same

gotta love this job!
Thanks Pals!

pspdfppdfxhd

Just axe the designer to fix it up. It's all good.  :drunk3:

Tracy

mc hristel

One thing you could try is to convert them all to a completely different spot color than the one you want, and then convert them back. I would think, if you are changing a spot to another spot with the same name, Pitstop might not be doing anything thinking that it is already the color you told it to convert to.

What you describe though, sounds a bit like a color profile or color space mismatch issue between the files.

Still, if they are printing digitally, I'd convert them all to CMYK before they get to the printer like you did initially, since they will get converted by the copier anyway and you will have more control of the color build you get.

DigiCorn

Do you program the color in Javascript? if so, it's in the code. It's been about 6 years since I programmed an online card in PDFLib Blocks, but in the code for the color it would be something like [color=cmyk=0,0,0,1] (for black) and screen values are represented as decimals... .45 would be 45%, etc. There was a special naming convention for spot inks, like [color=PANTONE Reflex Blue C=.9,.87,0,0.2]
(edit) It's been too long. I can't remember if that was how color was defined or not, but it was something like that
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on January 30, 2020, 03:03:34 PM
Yes vector, I tried global change picked alternate color CMYK Spot, it did nothing
They have the same logo, I tried copy pasting one logo to another illy file.
I'm sure it's me rushing it, I am so busy.

So these are templates for online business cards, Smart me decided to convert to process
they print digitally, so the copy guy goes to print one that I had to typeset and says the color is off
actually he is been printing the color wrong forever.
So I have to get it back to where it was.

The online templates are the ones that I got back to the original cmyk spot
so I still have time for the Generic one we print here, they just ordered 10,000 so I'm good
when I have time, I will try all the suggestions and get back to what I find.
also in researching the LAB Spot one has been LAB spot forever, and I think it prints the same

gotta love this job!
Thanks Pals!

I have to ask this because i have been guilty of doing this. Are you sure your global change has the setting to perform the correction on the page(s) you want it to? Several times I have had it set to a range of pages that don't exist or are other pages that I don't want the correction on. First thing I check anymore is to make sure it is set to run on current page or complete document or the correct range of pages.

Tracy

That was a good question was working with an 800 pager and was using "pages"
but that wasn't it.
I will send you the pdf via PM see what you think, no rush as I'm pretty sure I'm good to go
Haven't tried Davids advise yet.
Maybe I'm doing it wrong in pitstop, but it shows the CMYK spot when I go to remap.
My pitstop was a little glitchy yesterday, and today when I opened that pdf, it showed
CMYK spot and I said "No way" closed and opened again and LAB Spot
weird.

Joe

OK the PDF has an L a b spot color. If I try to change it the CMYK spot color of the same name with Pitstop global change nothing is happening. If I change it to a different CMYK spot color, for example CMYK version of PANTONE 100 C and then change it back to the CMYK version of PANTONE 287 C then it does change it back to the original color using the CMYK version. Weird. Maybe a Pitstop bug?

ABC?

Tracy

Your so smart Joe! Good Job!

abc

One of these will probably help. Lets you standardize on a Library and alternate color space.

Tracy