How do you determine what to charge?

Started by ratintrap, July 08, 2009, 09:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

typeman

Hourly rates are so funny. I tell people $20 per hour if you want me to work slow, $150 per hour if you want me to work fast! Actually I try to get the client to accept a total dollar amount for the job instead of an hourly rate. I explain to them that is the only way to compare apples to apples when looking at quotes. Supplier A may be very well versed in all the software and have the latest equipment. Supplier B has an old PC with Ragemaker and don't know chit. Supplier A could charge $150 per hour and Supplier B charges $15 per hour. At the end of the project it may still be cheaper to use Supplier A.

ratintrap

Yes, it sounds like estimating the time and coming up with a fee up front seems like the way to go.

beermonster

well now - very interesting

err right - k two people i know "very well" once ran their own company as a side thing - lets call them...two people in the trade - who have now split up...

anyhoo - these people did 2 large projects for my friends - err THEIR friends, and both times charged a hour by hour rate, and both times was a resounding success - a lot of the time it depends on how professional your friends are

so we they all agreed about supplying stuff like images as a digital file from photographer - which i they made good and corrected on screen, and text was supplied as a word file read straight in

sure - there were changes but at each stage we they gave an up to date inventory of whats been done, and costs - we they just agreed a certain limit before "credit" ran out which was documented anyway

and we they made a nice profit which the ex someone took and i my friends didnt get a damm penny - so work for friends yes - but do it for yourself!
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

johnhodges

I think, it is according to the work done.

Farabomb

Quote from: johnhodges on April 30, 2011, 12:06:07 AMI think, it is according to the work done.

Guess you don't work in prepress.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

gnubler

LOL.  :laugh: Quote o' the morning!
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Farabomb

First post of the morning I think as well.

'Tis a bit dead here and the Mac crashed twice in a half an hour. Time for my applejacks.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job