CS5 took over my computer

Started by gnubler, January 25, 2012, 09:30:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnubler

I installed CS5 yesterday. It changed all my InDesign CS4 file icons to the CS5 icon and in the Get Info window it's set to launch CS5. I tried changing the default opening app to CS4 but it doesn't stick. I got a note from my compadre that "InDesign will save as CS5 by default" but I don't think that's possible if you're in CS4...he probably had CS5 running and didn't realize it.

Did I make a mistake by installing this?

(p.s. Thanks Skryber, it "worked")
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Stiv

Here is what others have used.

http://www.rorohiko.com/wordpress/2011/05/22/soxy-1-6-0-has-been-released/

I cannot install it as I am locked out of just about everything on these computers.

Joe

Normal behavior. There is a little app, or used to be, that you could install and it would make it open in the version it was created for. Not sure of the name but someone will have it.

Edit: There it is. Stiv beat me to it.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

David

by default, your machine relates all .indd files to the MOST recent version you have installed. In your case, it's CS5, now.
completely normal, in an abby normal way.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

frailer

If you're intent on opening in the version it was created in, which the DCS Standards Committee recommends, then really you'd have to start at lower versions until you don't strike the 'missing plugins/can't open' message. Then you're in the version it was created in, presumably. The Rorohiko app in Stiv's link does this automatically. Down Under here, people tend to keep up to date, especially in the entertainment/advertising arena our stuff comes from. They're rarely older than CS5 these days, occasionally CS4.
Besides, mostly PDF in now. Apart from a couple of regulars who still give us the natives-only.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Skryber

Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

David

don't question it, just accept it and move on...

oh, and thanks!     :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Livin' la Vida Loca

Skryber

Quote from: david on January 25, 2012, 11:28:18 AMdon't question it, just accept it and move on...

oh, and thanks!     :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Anytime!  :wink:

I know what Gnub's talking about. I'm just wondering if I'm sleeping on the couch tonight.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

t-pat

we've been using Soxy for a couple months here, it works just as advertised. Be sure to take the time on install to set your "open with" preferences, there are a few options that are easy to understand.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

gnubler

It's not free. That's too expensive for me.

gnubler

I changed Get Info to open with CS4 but it ignores my commands. If no InDesign is running, double clicking a file will launch CS5. If InDesign CS4 is open then the file opens in CS4.

Lame.

David

and Adobe thanks you, and yes, you can have another...
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

That's why I'm "demo'ing" the Suite. Forever. :hello:

t-pat

Quote from: gnubler on January 25, 2012, 11:50:14 AMIt's not free. That's too expensive for me.

Didn't cost *me* anything. :)  Boss is ok about buying software usually except when it comes to ridiculous prices like our xmpie upgrade or Quark 9

I think it was $20 per seat or something. We got a volume license for 4-5 seats I think.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait