News:

Main Menu

'Editable' PDFs

Started by frailer, February 01, 2018, 03:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

We do a few school diaries, yearly. Last year, (apparently), our head office peeps, (either a dezinger or the ex-typesetter guy, who's even older than I am  :old: ), did an 'editable' PDF for them for visually impaired access.

Said typesetter guy has CRAFT on it. Our mgr. will speak to one of the dezingers after  9AM to see if she did it.

Guy at school swears we did one for him last year (i.e.the company, not necessarily the print arm).

I supplied one as a full single pages flowing doc, cropped, but he wants it 'editable'.

What's involved? Can I reverse engineer anything? Should I just hide somewhere?  :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Possum

I don't see any sense in that. (Doing the PDF, not hiding). They could get on a website like PDF to Word or whatever and convert it to their liking. Or the designer can edit the original. PDFs are somewhat editable if you have the same fonts, but I've never done it for more than a word or two.

Don't get what they're trying to do. If it's just to make it easy for sight-impaired people to read, they can just blow it up. As far as editable, live type (no outlines) would be my guess. Whether that would suit them, I can't say.

You can hide now.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

frailer

Thanks. We await 'answers' from individuals apparently involved last time, but can't remember a fickin' thing.  ;D

Not sure whether a ball will be lobbed into my court, or not, just yet.

.... hookay.... mgr's wife, who dabbles in this stuff, and has AcroPro, She's done some sort of doc based on File/Create/Form/.... 

As yet untested. But moved away from me a bit. Which is good.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

ninjaPB_43

Sounds like they just want a form where they can click on the fields and fill them in... that's a fairly easy thing to accomplish.
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Tracy

I've done a few Pdfs with Form fields, You want your indesign file to be pretty good
You will see if you need to edit your indy file once you begin creating the fields,
I figured it out myself with only the inter webs so it's not too hard, one thing that will make you crazy is
if there are text changes after you created the form, so I would get Final Final Final Final Approval
before creating the fields.

Once you have your pdf (Final final) you Prepare Form, see screen shot if you need any help we are here to help :laugh:

Just reread your post, not sure if this is good for the visually impaired, not sure what that is.

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

This quietly 'disappeared'. They seem to have created some sort of 'Form' version, in Acrobat DC, (which we're yet to actually used here,really, as we're awaiting IT guy visit to gat past this "you only need 1 license BS. Meh... sometimes. :shrug;