Putting 10.6 on the new Mini

Started by Slappy, February 24, 2012, 11:25:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

I'm installing Snow Leopard on one of the Minis we got recently that came with Lion installed, it's just causing too many issues so far. I'll use this one Mac as a test bed and see if it's stable enough to do the others also. FWIW, I first made a Snow Leopard partition on the Mini & left the Lion boot too. Maybe we can dual boot still. It'll be fun!!!

:banana: :banana: :banana:

I'll report back as the progress unfolds.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Slappy

The initial install went well enough, first boot into SL it just hung up at the Apple Logo though. Going back to Lion temporarily.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

David

are you installing it with a full retail version of SL?
if you're using a copy that came with another Mac, it may not work.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: Slappy on February 24, 2012, 12:04:40 PMThe initial install went well enough, first boot into SL it just hung up at the Apple Logo though. Going back to Lion temporarily.

Yeah, my understanding is that if the Mac originally had Lion on it, the firmware is locked into Lion and you can't run an earlier OS. The Macs we bought recently originally had Snow Leopard on them but I guess Apple put Lion on them during the refurbishing phase so those Macs would be able to run Snow Leopard. What kind of issues are you having with Lion? Once we upgraded Preps and FileMaker Pro everything is going smoothly for us.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Slappy

Quote from: david on February 24, 2012, 12:07:20 PMare you installing it with a full retail version of SL?
Yeah, it's a Full Retail DVD one of the other guys bought. And it's alive! Aliiiiiive I tell you!!!   :toaster:

Quote from: JoeWhat kind of issues are you having with Lion?
On my Mini, it "stalls" a lot when I'm in InDesign & opening or re-saving docs via the app file browser. it's a good 10-15 second beachball event, not every time but damned near. That's the most obvious thing I've noticed so far. I'm mounting the Prinergy drives via SMB, and we're starting to think maybe the Prinergy RAIDs aren't setup for SMB - is that possible? I know they put ExtremeZ IP on there a while ago, dunno what that would have to do do with the Mac connection issues though.

Joe

Quote from: Slappy on February 24, 2012, 12:48:03 PM
Quote from: david on February 24, 2012, 12:07:20 PMare you installing it with a full retail version of SL?
Yeah, it's a Full Retail DVD one of the other guys bought. And it's alive! Aliiiiiive I tell you!!!   :toaster:

Quote from: JoeWhat kind of issues are you having with Lion?
On my Mini, it "stalls" a lot when I'm in InDesign & opening or re-saving docs via the app file browser. it's a good 10-15 second beachball event, not every time but damned near. That's the most obvious thing I've noticed so far. I'm mounting the Prinergy drives via SMB, and we're starting to think maybe the Prinergy RAIDs aren't setup for SMB - is that possible? I know they put ExtremeZ IP on there a while ago, dunno what that would have to do do with the Mac connection issues though.

We have 13 iMacs running InDesign and Prinergy using Lion with no issues like that so it's not the "norm". You check in the Prinergy Administrator to what kind of network shares it's using.

Slappy

They appear to be running AFP across the board. It was insinuated that to change them over to SMB would require a complete archive/backup & reformatting of the RAIDs which I really don't feel good about. have yours always been running SMB, and if so why would Kodak have set purs up AFP?

Joe

Quote from: Slappy on February 24, 2012, 01:51:17 PMThey appear to be running AFP across the board. It was insinuated that to change them over to SMB would require a complete archive/backup & reformatting of the RAIDs which I really don't feel good about. have yours always been running SMB, and if so why would Kodak have set purs up AFP?

The Kodak tech gave us the choice at the initial install and I chose SMB. Not sure why you would need to reformat as the network protocol has no bearing on the the disk format. It's on Windows. It's NTFS whether you are using AFP or SMB. I would check with Kodak.

Slappy

Yeah, we're fishing for answers from them already. Found out once that we can't even mention "Lion" or they clamp shut like a nun's knees on Bourbon Street. Been finding some similar experiences over on the GUA boards too, so we'll see. I think next week I'll just partition the rest of these Minis & do the dual boot install. Can't hurt, and once we no longer need it I can just nuke the partition & move on happily.

Joe

Quote from: Slappy on February 24, 2012, 12:04:40 PMThe initial install went well enough, first boot into SL it just hung up at the Apple Logo though. Going back to Lion temporarily.

Quote from: Slappy on February 24, 2012, 04:51:44 PMYeah, we're fishing for answers from them already. Found out once that we can't even mention "Lion" or they clamp shut like a nun's knees on Bourbon Street. Been finding some similar experiences over on the GUA boards too, so we'll see. I think next week I'll just partition the rest of these Minis & do the dual boot install. Can't hurt, and once we no longer need it I can just nuke the partition & move on happily.

So Snow Leopard is working on the mini? I was under the impression you said it would not boot?

Slappy

Yup. once I applied the 10.6.8 Combo Update it fired right up!