Digital Press

Started by Joe, February 17, 2011, 12:24:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

Had a sit down with the brother this AM about getting a digital press and told him I'd post up here and see. Looks like Joe beat me to it. I do have insight on the DI. I used to run a Hedi DI until I managed to get my hand caught and never went near it again. The hardest thing I found was getting the paper through he damn thing. We had 2 and one ate 80# coated cover all day, the other would trip every 4-5 sheets with the same stock. Take a monkey and a large enough hammer and within a week you will have a passable operator. I had maybe 4 days of training on it and was able to get most jobs done. I did have a 23hr day running NCR but that was early on.

We are looking at a used iGen3 with 150k impressions on it.  I know nothing about them. Is that low or is it going to need a rebuild soon. My head is going to be spinning soon with all the stuff I have to research.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

gnubler

Quote from: Farabomb on February 17, 2011, 10:29:06 AMMy head is going to be spinning soon with all the stuff I have to research.

Like your avatar?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

delooch

embrace it joe. im not crazy about it either, but it will keep you employed. just ask my 3 press operators who got laid off last year.

im a diehard too, love the smell of ink and typewash, hell i even take tours of old letterpress shops on my days off. its all going away, all the rubber, gears, the squeaking.. slowly. replaced by microchips, static charges and software scripts.

the worst part is the "dumbing down" of your skills as you make the transition. i used to make sure all my output files were properly trapped and setup, now i barely give 2 shits about it as the rip make it look pretty regardless.

Farabomb

Quote from: gnubler on February 17, 2011, 10:32:19 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on February 17, 2011, 10:29:06 AMMy head is going to be spinning soon with all the stuff I have to research.

Like your avatar?

Yep, Pretty much.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

Quote from: Farabomb on February 17, 2011, 10:29:06 AMWe are looking at a used iGen3 with 150k impressions on it.  I know nothing about them. Is that low or is it going to need a rebuild soon. My head is going to be spinning soon with all the stuff I have to research.
From my understanding, that is extremely low. Our Xerox guy services iGens (Ray Morgan), and sometimes the service takes a while, but otherwise they are solid, quality machines. Hell, we do close to 150k impressions a week on our old Canon iR110; I put over 60k on it just yesterday alone. We switch image loops around a 800k to 1 million.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

It seems we are just looking to replace the 2 color AB Dick and they asked about the digital press but they really do not want a digital press for that kind of work. I can turn off the alarms now. Whew...but good luck Farabomb.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on February 17, 2011, 11:35:53 AMIt seems we are just looking to replace the 2 color AB Dick and they asked about the digital press but they really do not want a digital press for that kind of work. I can turn off the alarms now. Whew...but good luck Farabomb.
We're looking at dusting off the old Hamada and put it back into service... but the Boss is backing off a bit after the pressman told him he need new rollers for the Komori 26"

Instead of buying out some of our BC imprint jobs, I'm now running them on our little Xerox 4110.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

Since the shakeup we may be loosing some iron and if the price is right we may get a digital machine. I honestly think it's a good idea even though I will be the one pulling my hair out. If we can offer more services to our customers we can also re-purpose some of our workers. They might not like it but it sure beats not getting check and looking for a job.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job