Web design's days numbered too?

Started by ratintrap, June 20, 2008, 10:54:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ratintrap

QuoteThe last year or two I've come to the conclusion that prepress will eventually be handed off to the client to trouble shoot, trap-overprints (maybe) and impose using interactive software.

I was reading the "Our days numbered" thread in general prepress and got to wondering if this type of thing might happen with web design too. Does anyone think that online tools for designing your own website will get simple enough that the average business owner who needs a website could just do their own rather than hiring a lower end local web designer? Is the era of people who did web design for fun, that decided to open their own web design company on the side a thing of the past? I realize that large, complex sites will still need a designer, I am talking about the small simple sites.

There are some people who own web design companies in my area who design very simple ugly looking sites, these people usually do the web design as a side business. When I look at the sites they do, I can't help but wonder why someone paid them money for that.

I am thinking about getting into web design, so I was wondering what your thoughts are.

-Rat

gnubler

There's a lot of ugly websites out there. Among the ugliest are the ones people have thrown together with the "easy builder website-tonight" crap. Now with tools like Wordpress and Joomla, almost anyone with basic computer knowledge can put together a really professional site with tons of addons and extra features.

But when it comes down to designing something custom, you need someone who knows how to do more than just click the "publish" button.

Coincidentally, just last week one of our clients asked if I could put a site together for him and make regular updates to it. I asked if he wanted me to set up a site that he could login to and update himself, and he said no, he doesn't want to be bothered with it. I treasure people like this who are realistic about their abilities and/or interest. I'm sure we've all dealt with clients who want to "help" and it almost always turns out disastrous.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

jezza

Quote from: ratintrap on June 20, 2008, 10:54:38 AM
QuoteThe last year or two I've come to the conclusion that prepress will eventually be handed off to the client to trouble shoot, trap-overprints (maybe) and impose using interactive software.

Does anyone think that online tools for designing your own website will get simple enough that the average business owner who needs a website could just do their own rather than hiring a lower end local web designer?
-Rat

Already exists in Wordpress and others of a similar sort such as blogger. There are all sorts of add ons available that will enable e-commerce etc.

Wanna future proof yourself? Database or Data managemnet
one sick prepress mofo

ratintrap

Quote from: jezza  on June 20, 2008, 12:20:24 PMAlready exists in Wordpress and others of a similar sort such as blogger. There are all sorts of add ons available that will enable e-commerce etc.

Wanna future proof yourself? Database or Data managemnet

I thought it probably existed already. I guess if a business owner wanted a site that was fairly static they could do it themselves but it sounds like a lot of people wouldn't want to do one that involved a lot of upkeep.

I don't think I would be much good at database or data management, creative type things are what I am good at. I am not too bad at figuring out workarounds for problems that come up at work but that is about as technical as I get.

-Rat