Out of the frying pan and into the fire...

Started by andyfest, November 06, 2020, 07:03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyfest

It's been almost 3 years since I was laid off from the folding carton packaging company that I worked for. Since then I've been kinda semi-retired, doing part-time gigs for Canada Post and being a municipal cop in the summer seasons in our resort community. The other day I received a call from a former colleague of mine at the packaging company and it turns out that he and his son have started a sign company, which is doing really well. They were looking for a digital tech and thought of me, so it looks like I'm back into the graphics world again, at least for a couple of years. Same front end but totally different outputs - mostly vinyl signs, vehicle wraps, etc. - sounds very Skryber-esque, so I may be back up asking for advice!!
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Joe

Great to hear. Welcome back to the madness. :evil:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

Welcome Back Andy!
I would like to do something different too!

Skryber

I'll be happy to help so ask away, and welcome back to the circus.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Just_A_Mac_Guy

There are lots of ads for Graphic people here in Toronto, but most have unrealistic expectations and are offered as entry level salaries. I assume they believe there is a large number of talent that is desperate to work for nothing.

The manager who downsized all the knowledge and talent at my last shop, was let go last week and is looking for sympathy...

Joe

Quote from: Just_A_Mac_Guy on November 06, 2020, 12:49:35 PM
The manager who downsized all the knowledge and talent at my last shop, was let go last week and is looking for sympathy...

Karma is a bitch isn't it?

Possum

Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

motormount

Quote from: Just_A_Mac_Guy on November 06, 2020, 12:49:35 PM
There are lots of ads for Graphic people here in Toronto, but most have unrealistic expectations and are offered as entry level salaries. I assume they believe there is a large number of talent that is desperate to work for nothing.

Talented or not, there's a lot of desperate people around...

Good luck with your new start Andy! 

gnubler

What a coinkydink (minus the ink). SHTF in Gnubler-ville and I'm in the midst of starting up a sign & decal business from the ruins of a wrecked printshop. Looks like I'm not alone...just about everyone I know is working 2-3 jobs/gigs to stay afloat. This will be a moonlighter for me, for starters.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Welcome back to PRINT WORLD where your soul goes to die.

(Confirmation in the last 2 weeks that both gnubler and digitalcrapshoveler are both still alive)

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on November 16, 2020, 08:15:04 AM
Welcome back to PRINT WORLD where your soul goes to die.

(Confirmation in the last 2 weeks that both gnubler and digitalcrapshoveler are both still alive)
well, those two + cockroaches will survive a nuclear war
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway