silly question - i ought to know!

Started by beermonster, November 28, 2007, 04:43:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beermonster

folks - the export pdf function in quark - does it use distiller to write the pdf or not?

for some reason - i'm not sure why - i actually thought it did....then someone told me it didnt

i should know :-[
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

Pointyhat

beermonster

DCurry

You can go into Preferences and set it to just create a postscript when using the Export to PDF feature - then, you can Distill it.

I've actually had zero problems with the Jaws PDFs that Quark creates, and I use it on every single Q7 job we get. I even went into my System Preferences and assigned a shortcut (Comand-E) so it works just like InDesign.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

almaink

Export to PDF using JAWS works well in version 6.5 as well. Only things you gotta watch out for are the way you embed fonts ( subset or Full embed), and Color mode. Sometimes with spots AS IS works sometimes you need to use DeviceN. Same thing with font embedding. Whatever you use make sure you check the results in Acrobat before
closing the Quack file, as you may need to remake the PDF using other options.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

Pointyhat

Is there anyway to get a Quark pdf to open automatically?

beermonster

ok - another question i really feel i should know the answer to :-[

jaws - can it keep transparency live?

jezza

As soon as you generate the post script the transparency will be flattened wether using jaws or not. Are you printing directly to Jaws?
one sick prepress mofo

DCurry

Quote from: almaink on November 28, 2007, 07:45:27 AMExport to PDF using JAWS works well in version 6.5 as well.

I never liked using direct export in 6 - no presets!
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

beermonster

jezza - no mate it's a question thats popped up - i've maintained that from quark the next step is postscript - whatever you do.

you've confimed I was right (see - i was just checking all along :-[)

postscript=screwed transparency from quark in some cases (not all - i guess it can work).

here's another question - which, in your opinion(s), creates a better pdf from quark - an exported via jaws pdf, or a postscript and distilled pdf?

or is there no difference?

jezza

I'd prefer to distill, but some members report perfectly good results with Jaws. There really is no problem with Jaws at all. This is just a personal preference.
one sick prepress mofo

beermonster

ok mate thanks- personally i've never noticed any differences - maybe i just didnt look close enough!

i tend to export and tweak options as required. apart from transparency issues mostly they work well.

well - they would since i now pdf out of quack at the earliest opportunity and bang it straight into indesign as a standard practise ;D

jezza

Quote from: beermonster on November 29, 2007, 04:05:16 AMwell - they would since i now pdf out of quack at the earliest opportunity and bang it straight into indesign as a standard practise ;D

Don't blame you :)
one sick prepress mofo

Joe

Quote from: beermonster on November 29, 2007, 03:24:54 AMjezza - no mate it's a question thats popped up - i've maintained that from quark the next step is postscript - whatever you do.

you've confimed I was right (see - i was just checking all along :-[)

postscript=screwed transparency from quark in some cases (not all - i guess it can work).

here's another question - which, in your opinion(s), creates a better pdf from quark - an exported via jaws pdf, or a postscript and distilled pdf?

or is there no difference?

My Nexus RIP prefers they be printed to ps and distilled. If you export directly from Quark our RIP picks out random pieces of text and throws them away.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

almaink

I use JAWS from Quack 99% of the time. The other 1% I use the old Kodak/Creo PXT 4.5.xnt extension to write the postscript and distill that. Why? DCS2.0. Quack converts them to 4/c if you use any other method. RAMPage has no issues with these PDF's but all PDF's get placed in InDesign and are refryed to PDF from there, so that may be why I see no issues using direct export.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers