News:

Main Menu

Find and add

Started by elko, March 11, 2014, 06:14:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elko

Hi.

I need an advice.
I need to add an objects only on the pages where is exact text phrase. For example, pdf has 250 pages and pitstop should add black rectangle on pages where is text phrase "basic".

Any idea?

DigiCorn

I think you'll need a third party software like FusionPro or XMPie
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DCurry

Is the rectangle always in the same place, or does it need to cover the word "basic"?

If it's the former, I suppose you could do a find on the word just using Acrobat, then note which pages it is on and use Pitstop to add the box on those pages. Not really very automated, but doable. If the latter, no ideas for that one.

Not sure how a VDP product like Corn mentions would work.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Slappy

Sounds like redaction, I thought Acrobat had this ability built-in but not sure it's scriptable to obscure only certain words.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

elko

Thanx to all

Quote from: DCurry on March 11, 2014, 08:47:46 PMIs the rectangle always in the same place, or does it need to cover the word "basic"?

If it's the former, I suppose you could do a find on the word just using Acrobat, then note which pages it is on and use Pitstop to add the box on those pages. Not really very automated, but doable. If the latter, no ideas for that one.

Not sure how a VDP product like Corn mentions would work.

There are a few kinds of the rectangels and each is for difrent phrase. All of them should be placed to same place.

Yes, it is one of my non automatic solutions, use find function in acrobat and than Pitstop action to add the rectangel.....but it is almoust manual work....

Quote from: DigiCorn on March 11, 2014, 08:03:53 AMI think you'll need a third party software like FusionPro or XMPie

I dont have this software, i have only acro and pitstop.

abc

There's an Action to select text 'Select Text by key phrase' so if you combine that with the 'add rectangle' action i guess it should work so you can automate this, I would test thoroughly.

elko

i forgot mention...i have win 7, acro XI pro and Pstop 11

Quote from: abc on March 12, 2014, 01:00:00 AMThere's an Action to select text 'Select Text by key phrase' so if you combine that with the 'add rectangle' action i guess it should work so you can automate this, I would test thoroughly.

i cant find 'add rectangle' action

i´ve already tested  'Select Text by key phrase' and 'add copied graphics ..... the problem is the  'Select Text by key phrase' doesnt select the page or make suitable selection for the 'add' actions

Joe

Quote from: elko on March 12, 2014, 04:43:11 AMi forgot mention...i have win 7, acro XI pro and Pstop 11

Quote from: abc on March 12, 2014, 01:00:00 AMThere's an Action to select text 'Select Text by key phrase' so if you combine that with the 'add rectangle' action i guess it should work so you can automate this, I would test thoroughly.

i cant find 'add rectangle' action

i´ve already tested  'Select Text by key phrase' and 'add copied graphics ..... the problem is the  'Select Text by key phrase' doesnt select the page or make suitable selection for the 'add' actions

I don't think there is an 'add rectangle' action. I think he was referring to where you said 'Pitstop action to add the rectangle' that you are already using.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

abc

Yep, thinking about it that's not going to work as you actually need to select the page with the text, not the text itself.

I'll talk to the developers tomorrow and see if they have any bright ideas.  They're much cleverer than me  :-)

DigiCorn

Fusion Pro is cheap. Just write a JavaScript to link the resource images to the keyword. However, if it's the same keyword in each instance, you'd need to add some kind of other instructions to place the different shape on the desired page otherwise how would it discern the difference?

if (Field("Direct") != "" || Field("Cell") != "") return NullResource();
else return Resource("Resource1");

That's an example of a script that says if the variable fields "Direct" and "Cell" not equal (!=) to blank ("") than return no image, otherwise return graphic "Resource1" which could be your rectangle.

Yours would say something like

if "keyword" then return Resource("Rectangle");
if "keyword2" then return Resource("Rectangle2");

etc.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

johnny_jay

When you know what pages, you could add the rectangle as a watermark.
Kodak Prinergy and InSite
Preps
Epson P7000 driven by Fiery XF
Screen 16000N
Screen R36000ZX
3 web presses, 1 sheetfed press
G7 Expert

elko

it is rectangles for labels belonging to manual specified by number (the key phrase)......there are specified 20 colors for manuals....among hundreds recently, and the number will grow up......everyday i get a pdf, 150-250 pages, variable number of pages for each manual, dont know how many manuals and which of them are included.....

so i have to add that rectangle to exact labels by a excel table

Quote from: DigiCorn on March 13, 2014, 08:22:02 AMFusion Pro is cheap. Just write a JavaScript to link the resource images to the keyword. However, if it's the same keyword in each instance, you'd need to add some kind of other instructions to place the different shape on the desired page otherwise how would it discern the difference?

if (Field("Direct") != "" || Field("Cell") != "") return NullResource();
else return Resource("Resource1");

That's an example of a script that says if the variable fields "Direct" and "Cell" not equal (!=) to blank ("") than return no image, otherwise return graphic "Resource1" which could be your rectangle.

Yours would say something like

etc.

the scripts are for the Fusion Pro? Fusion Pro they dont allow......may be there should be way out by scripting in acro.....

yes this is what i need

DigiCorn

I don't know much about writing scripts for general use, but those scripts definitely work in FusionPro, which is a plug-in for Acrobat. It works side-by-side with PitStop, but is specific for designing variable data pieces. If this is something you do regularly, it's something you will need. http://www.pti.com/FusionProVDPCreator/index.html

In FP, for a variable image, you locally "upload" a link to create a "resource." Then you program the script to create a reference. From the sample pdf, it looks like this would work wonders for you. The sample screenshot shows you the FP plugin. This example is for a business card that may have 2 phone numbers or three phone numbers. You can't see it, but under the FusionPro text boxes is a green divider stripe. The stripe is the height of three phone numbers, but the FP script calls back a white box to cover up a portion of the stripe when there are only two phone numbers, so that the stripe is not too long. This is very similar to what it sounds like you are doing.

Without FusionPro, I do not know of another way of doing this.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

elko

Quote from: DigiCorn on March 14, 2014, 08:48:11 AMI don't know much about writing scripts for general use, but those scripts definitely work in FusionPro, which is a plug-in for Acrobat. It works side-by-side with PitStop, but is specific for designing variable data pieces. If this is something you do regularly, it's something you will need. http://www.pti.com/FusionProVDPCreator/index.html

In FP, for a variable image, you locally "upload" a link to create a "resource." Then you program the script to create a reference. From the sample pdf, it looks like this would work wonders for you. The sample screenshot shows you the FP plugin. This example is for a business card that may have 2 phone numbers or three phone numbers. You can't see it, but under the FusionPro text boxes is a green divider stripe. The stripe is the height of three phone numbers, but the FP script calls back a white box to cover up a portion of the stripe when there are only two phone numbers, so that the stripe is not too long. This is very similar to what it sounds like you are doing.

Without FusionPro, I do not know of another way of doing this.

thank you.......  I suppose the FP should be the answer and i try to suggest that but I think, almost for 115,2748 % they (administrator and my managers) will not allow new soft for this case, cause of the priority, that is not so hi.....not to mention the deadly price $799.00....

Slappy

How much loss (in money) will it be when a job gets returned because something went wrong when doing this "rectangle copy-paste" manually? How much money in man hours will be wasted doing it that way?

These are the only things management understands, and if they can't see that simple math, not worth trying to convince them. Good luck!
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.