FlatpanelsHD_heads up

Started by frailer, September 26, 2009, 03:38:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: frailer on November 14, 2010, 03:06:06 AMYeah, I know, everything's relative. I've stopped dreaming about $1000 displays now. But I've seen them in operation, and know what they can do.
Yes, I consider myself lucky to have what we have.  :lipsrsealed:

DCS might like to tell why he likes his EIZO, and how different his images look compared to the 27" iMac.   :cheesy:  I'll at least hook up my old DELL 2007FP (S-IPS) to the iMac, as they have built in DVI to Mini-DVI connection on the iMac. Once I resolve the transition remnants/backup conundrum.

You can't buy a monitor today, consumer model anyway, that doesn't clip shadows and highlights. If you are a visual color corrector, this is a disaster. The Eizo not only does NOT do this, but displays color pretty accurate. No monitor is perfect, but the Eizo is the closest I have seen. Cost a pretty penny, too. You really get what you pay or.
Member #285 - Civilian

pspdfppdfxhd

for what it's worth I've been using a 27 inch iMac for about 2 months and I love it. The "gloss" issue doesn't even come into play here because there are no lights overhead in my work area, never get a glare. I've always preferred to work this way (in the dark)...must be all those years in the darkroom.

one thing is though, until you get used to it you just have to realize that everything looks a little "better" on this monitor than what it will print like. The color accuracy is very good however and you can hold an epson proof beside it and it's like 95% accurate most times which is good enough for this little print shop.

Thats my 2 cents.

frailer

Off topic, but don't those damn things get hot! You can see why they went LED, rather than CCRT backlight. Would have ended up with a mess of aluminium and plastic on the bench.  :shocked:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

That's not only the heat from the LCD but the computer as well so it seems hotter than normal for a regular monitor.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on November 16, 2010, 01:22:36 PMThat's not only the heat from the LCD but the computer as well so it seems hotter than normal for a regular monitor.

They get REALLY hot. I like the color, too... for pleasing adjustments, but it still clips shadows and highlights. Not accurate by any means.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Yes, I use mine as a hand warmer in the winter months. Nice and toasty.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on November 16, 2010, 01:22:36 PMThat's not only the heat from the LCD but the computer as well so it seems hotter than normal for a regular monitor.

Exactly. I reckon they did some slide rule calculations and decided that was the only way it wouldn't melt. LED just keeps it under melting point.   :laugh: I still reckon computer-in-display is design over function, but to a ridiculous degree.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

gnubler

If you put your monitor within 2 feet of a roaring fire it will start to bow and melt.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

frailer

Quote from: gnubler on November 17, 2010, 09:56:48 AMIf you put your monitor within 2 feet of a roaring fire it will start to bow and melt.

Thank you Professor Julius Sumner Miller.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on November 17, 2010, 12:38:33 PM
Quote from: gnubler on November 17, 2010, 09:56:48 AMIf you put your monitor within 2 feet of a roaring fire it will start to bow and melt.

Thank you Professor Julius Sumner Miller.

See there? She forgot that damn sarcasm emoticon again.

David

do we need to put her on probation?    :sarcasm:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigitalCrapShoveler

Kill her. I get the rump-roast. (No sarcasm)
Member #285 - Civilian

David

again?
you always get the best parts!
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: david on November 17, 2010, 01:27:31 PMagain?
you always get the best parts!

It's in her will, Dave. Hand scratched in her own blood. I converted some files for her, she "felt" she owed me. Who am I to argue. I like meat.
Member #285 - Civilian

pspdfppdfxhd

Hey Frailer, I remember that guy (Professor Julius Sumner Miller.) he used to come on a Canadian show here called the "house of frightenstein". He was a real piece of work that guy....