Design Layout Panel feature request

Started by frailer, November 29, 2012, 08:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

... to be able to set Crop and Art boxes to Bleed Box, in Edit. Currently only able to set to Media or Trim Boxes. Can do it manually with the Edit Page Box Tool... but...
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

t-pat

Quote from: frailer on November 29, 2012, 08:50:32 PM... to be able to set Crop and Art boxes to Bleed Box, in Edit. Currently only able to set to Media or Trim Boxes. Can do it manually with the Edit Page Box Tool... but...

strange that you would care about either of those boxes, must be a XMF thing. Or a thing that makes the water in the toilet turn the other way. Prinergy doesn't care about those, it's the honey badger of workflows.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

frailer

Quote from: t-pat on November 30, 2012, 11:47:50 AM
Quote from: frailer on November 29, 2012, 08:50:32 PM... to be able to set Crop and Art boxes to Bleed Box, in Edit. Currently only able to set to Media or Trim Boxes. Can do it manually with the Edit Page Box Tool... but...

strange that you would care about either of those boxes, must be a XMF thing. Or a thing that makes the water in the toilet turn the other way. Prinergy doesn't care about those, it's the honey badger of workflows.

Ya well, I'll upload the file for you Monday. An assumption, but supplied PDF had Trims and edge images bled off OK, but too far, which is annoying. So, opening in DLP, I can set the Bleed box, get the dashed line, set to 3mm.... But there's no option to set Art/Crop to Bleed, only to Trim/Media. Gotta set them to the Bleed dimensions manually with the Page Box Tool.
Would be interesting to know if Prinergy allows the image to spill past the Bleed box. Could be a setting I'm not attending to in XMF, also.   :undecided:
Shall be in touch Monday, but later, as you'll be asleep, presumably....    :laugh:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

t-pat

Preps preferences determine the bleed amount. Standard for us is .125" and centering the pdf on the trim box (override page geometry.). So - it doesn't matter what the other boxes are, as long as the trim box is right and there is bleed. Depending on the version of prinergy, similar settings are used, we have Evo so no real impose in-workflow, we make preps templates using live pdfs and send .pjtfs to plate/vps

For our copiers, everything is dependent on Media box, it centers the work based on the media box of the FIRST page. If the media boxes are inconsistent from page to page, or if the media box is not symmetrical in relation to the trim box, things get bad.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Joe

Quote from: frailer on November 30, 2012, 03:29:31 PM
Quote from: t-pat on November 30, 2012, 11:47:50 AM

Ya well, I'll upload the file for you Monday. An assumption, but supplied PDF had Trims and edge images bled off OK, but too far, which is annoying. So, opening in DLP, I can set the Bleed box, get the dashed line, set to 3mm.... But there's no option to set Art/Crop to Bleed, only to Trim/Media. Gotta set them to the Bleed dimensions manually with the Page Box Tool.
Would be interesting to know if Prinergy allows the image to spill past the Bleed box. Could be a setting I'm not attending to in XMF, also.   :undecided:
Shall be in touch Monday, but later, as you'll be asleep, presumably....    :laugh:

I would just delete the Art/Crop boxes and be done with it. As t-pat said...who needs 'em?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

Only on b4p can a pic of an angry honey badger make its way into the middle of a thread and nobody cares, right back on topic. :laugh:

I killz me also.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on November 30, 2012, 04:54:21 PMOnly on b4p can a pic of an angry honey badger make its way into the middle of a thread and nobody cares, right back on topic. :laugh:

I killz me also.

B4P is the honey badger of prepress forums?

gnubler

frailer

Well, I think it's an art/crop box issue, but maybe, after all this, it's not. I'll Dropbox it Monday. I don't get why the image is extending beyond the Bleed box in XMF.
Later...

Joe

frailer

Quote from: Joe on December 01, 2012, 09:52:22 AMLaurens has a great page explaining PDF page boxes at prepressure.com: The PDF page boxes: MediaBox, CropBox, BleedBox, TrimBox & ArtBox
Yeah, good revision. The prob is the way the dezinger has set the doc up, for sure; or, the way XMF is NOT dealing with that; just annoying, mainly.

Joe

frailer

Quote from: Joe on December 01, 2012, 10:36:55 AMWhat exactly is XMF doing with/to it?

... letting it Bleed over past the XMF Bleed boundary. But let me check, and upload it as well, tomorrow.

abc

Can't you just add an action to the Design Layout to change the required boxes?
(see attached)
these were made in 11 so they might not load, but they are just a simple action list, change cropbox to bleedbox size, change artbox to bleedbox size and i loaded them into the 'Actions' part of the design layout panel