4 col type conversion to (tint of) Black

Started by frailer, February 27, 2011, 04:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Got a bro-shewer.... dezinger, (I assume), wants a knocked back type in Gray. It's outlined type. But it's:
31 C
24 M
22 Y
33 K

Have checked my Col Magt. in PSP and Acrobat, to make sure all's well. That is, I believe the stars are aligned. Am getting a conversion to Gray of around 52% in PitStop.
Am about to phone dezinger and see if she has a %age K in mind for it. But shall postpone and do some plates in case I get an answer here.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

mattbeals

Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

frailer

Quote from: mattbeals on February 27, 2011, 04:47:39 PMWhy wait to call?

:laugh:   Oh orright.    :embarrassed:   She's in in half an hour... be calling her back.    :rolleyes:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

mattbeals

Whether or not a 31 C, 24 M, 22 Y, 33 K built gray is reasonably equivalent to 52% gray when using PitStop to convert from CMYK to device gray. Would it be accurate to what the designer had intended?
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Joe

I'll bet the answer is that they don't know. They just liked how it looked on their screen.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on February 27, 2011, 07:33:23 PMI'll bet the answer is that they don't know. They just liked how it looked on their screen.

Actually, a Monday surprise. She said, with little hesitation: "80%"   :faint:

frailer

Quote from: Joe on February 27, 2011, 06:39:03 PMUmmm....what was the question?

Man, it really is Monday.   :laugh:   You're still in Sunday; supposed to work that out for yourself.    :tongue:   

The question should have been: "Anyone proffer an opinion that mix to %age K?"    But, on thinking about it, how long is a piece of string? 

Joe

Did you ask her why she didn't just make it 80% to start with?

frailer

Quote from: Joe on February 27, 2011, 09:07:14 PMDid you ask her why she didn't just make it 80% to start with?

No, ...  "...we would usually run that as a tint of Black; registering 4 colour type like that can be a problem...yada yada...". She was pleasant; I left it at that.   Decided to use a very small ball pein instead of a sledge hammer.    :laugh: