email hook-up problem

Started by frailer, May 02, 2008, 06:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Not sure if this belongs here, but what the heck. Had recent PC HDD problem. Now fixed. Thing is, was able to get email going on a spare Mac at home, by hooking it up temporarily. [We're on a 4 port Netgear server]. This was after some time spent on a helpline to Bigpond~Australia's Microsoft of telecomms. Got a new Password, worked OK on the Mac.

Now, after successfully getting it back onto the PC, it's dropped off again. Think this happened when the PC switched itself off after I'd set Power Save stuff...dumb! Lost settings? In Theory I should be able to key in the password and set it up again. But keeps asking for it each time. Am on latest Thunderbird. Have checked User Name/Incoming~Outgoing server names etc...all should be OK.

I suspect that somehow the password needs resetting/resupplying from the ISP. Shall try it back on the Mac later; if it works there, then a problem on the PC only.

Am receiving incoming emails OK. Any thoughts welcome.     :huh:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

frailer

Can send emails from my old G3. No settings changes... Must be a Thunderbird/PC problem.

Bugger!   Gonna get an iMac or Mini off ebay. Flick this damn PC.    :rubbish2:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

frailer,

Try going into your account settings in Thunderbird and uncheck the box to save the password. Click the okay box to make the change. Exit out of Thunderbird. Then restart Thunderbird. It should now ask you for your password. Type it in and click the checkbox to save the password. If that does not work then I'd try deleting the account from Thunderbird and creating a new one again.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Yep, funny you mention that; did something along those lines last night, and it came back. The latest Thunderbird has changed the Accont Settings interface a bit, it seems...but, it worked.
Cheers, mate.      :cool: