Do/Can You see paper Caliper/Thickness in your Print Mangement System?

Started by mwc, December 27, 2019, 09:51:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do/Can You see paper Caliper/Thickness in your Print Mangement System?

No, it is not available in my system
2 (20%)
Yes, It shows the caliper on my Job Ticket.
5 (50%)
Maybe it can, but we use other methods for getting this. (or I have no use for that information)
2 (20%)
Vendor can add it....for a price....
1 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: January 27, 2020, 09:51:40 AM

mwc

Hello all, (POLL ABOVE THIS MESSAGE)

I'm curious if see your paper caliper/thickness on your current job ticket from your PMIS?

I have changed printing companies, and our current system (AVANTI CLASSIC) does not have this variable for reporting ---but they will add it for us....for a TON of money!

Reworking the prepress job ticket, and I WANT this information for SHINGLING....(seems like a good piece of information for any PMIS to pass along to your Job Workflow?)

born2print

Yes, as I voted, but with an asterisk - it is added manually during planning.
Not sure if the MIS can do it, but we don't like the MIS ticket. Our tickets are Excel files on a server with printed master to go around the shop.

Edit: I guess I voted wrong, the MAYBE vote is basically what I just said, sorry.
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Joe

I voted "No, it is not available in my system" because we don't have "official" MIS software. We use a Filemaker Pro system that I created (yeah you get what you pay for :D ). We use many different kinds of papers from many different vendors and we have found the same paper from different vendors are not always the same thickness. We usually go back in our work order database and find a previous job with the same page count to figure out shingling and spine info and if we don't have that our "paper guy" gets a paper sample and measures it.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Slappy

Absolutely, and if the jobs isn't correct it goes back to Planning.* All available stocks are in the database, so CSRs can't mix/match them incorrectly. If a stock isn't available, it gets added by the Lead CSR.

Are you saying that the job tickets out of Avanti don't have the paper weights? Never seen it, so not sure.

*By caliper, I mean it's GSM weight, we manually input caliper at the impo stage, as the MIS doesn't interact with XMF.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

AaronH

We don't currently have an MIS system, but are in the middle of getting one implemented. From what I've seen it doesn't print out thickness either, then again, we're not using the shingling in the most orthodox way in XMF either. We do however have a sheet printed out and taped to the wall in the prepress office that has paper thickness of the various weights and companies we get paper from. It may not always be 100% accurate, but hey, neither is paper. If we don't have the paper thickness, we just mic it and use that, or bug our estimator/paper purchaser and get the info from him.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

born2print

Good enough most of the time I reckon... .0035 vs .004 type of thing.
Better than no shingling!

born2print

Anyone remember the days when bindery would make a dummy book to measure creep EXACTLY?
:old:

mwc

Quote from: Slappy on December 27, 2019, 02:18:24 PM
Absolutely, and if the jobs isn't correct it goes back to Planning.* All available stocks are in the database, so CSRs can't mix/match them incorrectly. If a stock isn't available, it gets added by the Lead CSR.

Are you saying that the job tickets out of Avanti don't have the paper weights? Never seen it, so not sure.

*By caliper, I mean it's GSM weight, we manually input caliper at the impo stage, as the MIS doesn't interact with XMF.

I am talking about the thickness of the sheet (caliper) as  GSM (Grams per Square Meter) is a weight indicator, not a thickness....Avanti DOES have the paper weights available for job tickets, it just DOES NOT show the caliper of the chosen stocks (although they ARE in the database, just not available for the ticket>)

swampymarsh

I voted yes, as our http://accuramis.com can show this on the job ticket. Unlike weight, it is an optional field on the substrate setup, but if it is entered it can be reported. It is not on the default job sheet, however, it can be added by the end-user using standard tools provided with the system for no extra charge.

Slappy

Quote from: mwc on December 27, 2019, 04:06:27 PM
Quote from: Slappy on December 27, 2019, 02:18:24 PM

I am talking about the thickness of the sheet (caliper) as  GSM (Grams per Square Meter) is a weight indicator, not a thickness....Avanti DOES have the paper weights available for job tickets, it just DOES NOT show the caliper of the chosen stocks (although they ARE in the database, just not available for the ticket>)
Gotcha, I'm going to ask our lead CSR who handles the MIS setup - now I'm curious.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Slappy

So, we DO have it in the MIS system, it's actually required for every stock available. We think it's so that it can calculate shipping costs, coil sizes for spiral/wire-o books etc.
Apparently when they plan a job like that, the MIS automatically assigns the coil size, which is cool. Again, it's NOT printing on the physical job tickets but it's definitely part of the base package we use.

mwc

Quote from: Slappy on January 02, 2020, 12:22:54 PM
So, we DO have it in the MIS system, it's actually required for every stock available. We think it's so that it can calculate shipping costs, coil sizes for spiral/wire-o books etc.
Apparently when they plan a job like that, the MIS automatically assigns the coil size, which is cool. Again, it's NOT printing on the physical job tickets but it's definitely part of the base package we use.

Thanks,
I have seen this used for calculating the # of sheets for a cutter lift also.
I just need to see it in prepress for the operators to get the proper shingle assigned. Can come close with 'standard' references, but sometimes you need the real numbers.
These numbers are in our current system as well....just not available to the printed job ticket.... :facepalm: