Time Machine and OS Install

Started by Tracy, November 26, 2018, 09:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy

Going to start with Time Machine
Is it possible to do the Time Machine backup on a WD Raid disk?
the you tube video of the kid in his bedroom shows backing up to an external plugged into the computer.

I have a share on my Raid disk that says Time Machine, but I think it's to back up the raid?
I'm already backing that to an external.

I'll be taking my time with this, updating the OS is freaking me out a bit so thanks in advance for patience!
thinking of doing a clean install on 1 computer for now.

DigiCorn

Some external HDs/NAS/RAID/Servers work. Some don't. At home, I know one of my NAS drives specifically has a Time Machine option you have to check, "on," in the GUI to make it work. Around the office we just have little WD 1TB externals plugged in to everything... the cheap little $99 kind.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Tracy

Ok yes, I am speaking of NAS Raid :laugh:
and it does have the Time Machine share on it.
It won't hurt anything to try, sheesh I should of been doing this already!

Joe

Yep should work with the RAID. You can either use the Time Machine software built into the RAID or you can just mount a network drive on the Mac and point Time Machine to it and backup that way. It will take longer to backup/restore across the network than having a HD directly connected to the Mac.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

Tracy

wondering if it will slow down the network for everybody if I backup to my raid
I could just go the external drive route

Joe

If you have gigabit ethernet (1000 mbps) it will actually be faster than a USB 3 external. Of course if your network is not gigabit (fast ethernet (100 mbps)) than the opposite is true. If your network is 10 mbps then you need to upgrade your network.

Tracy

I think we updated our network when we moved here, I will do a double check
so much to learn!

Tracy

Tried to plead my case again about updating XMF - got shot down, boo!

Joe

Work slower. They won't upgrade as long as you are going fast enough. :rotf:

Tracy

I'm headed to the same place where I started from

Tracy

Just bumping this up, going to Time Machine today

Tracy

already having an issue, not a major one tho
I'm not seeing my NAS in the option to pick for backup, I see another WD drive, but I don't want to use that one.
I may have to use a USB drive to backup to.

Tracy

Bleep! It wants to erase my USB drive-not an option
I will have to get a new one, sheesh I'm such a spaz

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on December 07, 2018, 09:39:55 AMalready having an issue, not a major one tho
I'm not seeing my NAS in the option to pick for backup, I see another WD drive, but I don't want to use that one.
I may have to use a USB drive to backup to.

Hmmmm...it appears Time Machine no longer allows backups to network drives. I am pretty sure it used to. :(

You may have to turn on the option for Time Machine Backups in your NAS and perform the backup using it.