News:

Main Menu

CWS 5

Started by DigiCorn, February 11, 2019, 12:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

Suddenly, at 10 am this morning ALL version of CWS 5 (5.7, 5.8, etc.) on multiple machines in our shop stopped working simultaneously. We can run 6, but it sucks. This happen to anyone else?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

scottrsimons

That sounds like a Windows update issue to me. I would check the Windows logs to see when the last update was installed. And possible work backwards from there.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

DigiCorn

It's on BOTH Mac and Windows
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Well version 5 is deprecated so they might have pulled the plug remotely on it.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on February 11, 2019, 12:49:44 PMWell version 5 is deprecated so they might have pulled the plug remotely on it.
I was almost relegated to that, but I upgraded to 6 and same issues. Eventually determined that one of the connected Fierys had crashed/locked up while processing a VDP job. Shut the Fiery down and brought it back up, problem solved.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

We use version 6 here. It works. Myself, I never like 5.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Possum

I've got version 5 and it still works, for what it's worth, so I don't think they made it non-working.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

wonderings

I have Version 5.xxx working on all our computers here with no issue. I prefer it over 6 which I have running on my computer to test. 6 looks nicer more modern but they have added extra clicks for some features. The one thing I do like about V6 is the ability to change the print quantity without going into properties.

DigiCorn

Quote from: wonderings on February 20, 2019, 09:10:39 AMThe one thing I do like about V6 is the ability to change the print quantity without going into properties.
Wha? How do you do that?

I can do it that way in 5, but NOT 6.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Tracy

Right hand side there are editable properties

DigiCorn

I'll be damned. I do it this way in 5...
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

delooch

Whats your guys experience with the CWS5 paper catalog?  The fiery is running 2 Ricohs, a 7100 and an 8100. The paper catalog works great on the 7100, but I cant seem to get it right on the other. Techs cant figure it out- we have been using manual settings, which is kind of a pain compared to the paper catalog..

We have identical paper specs on both machines, but the 8100 doesnt play nice with the rip. Its supposed to though..

Possum

Aw, gee, how many times have I been told something is "supposed" to work but doesn't.  :banghead:
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

scottrsimons

Quote from: delooch on February 20, 2019, 12:30:44 PMa 7100 and an 8100
First saw this when reading it, I immediately thought of a PowerMac 7100 and a PowerMac 8100. Maybe somebody will get a laugh at my old age. :old: 
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

delooch

Quote from: Possum on February 20, 2019, 12:43:53 PMAw, gee, how many times have I been told something is "supposed" to work but doesn't.  :banghead:

Yeah they also said they were rated for NCR. Guess what it, doesn't like it at all. We do a lot of NCR. Of course we find out after the install. We fought with them a couple of months, they finally just gave us an extra older canon that would handle the stock. We are up for a new machine next year, going to try to switch back to canon, not really impressed with the ricohs.