Using XPS in prepress

Started by Laurens, January 07, 2010, 11:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain_Type

It looks like you can just open the XPS in a browser and print it to a PDF creating printer. The thought of relying on a browser to reproduce line endings/kerning faithfully is pretty scary though. Has anyone done this?

http://xpstopdf.blog.com/
Esko Automation Engine 23
ArtPro+ 23
Javelin Imagesetter

Joe

Yeah, but you can open a PDF in your browser too.

Microsoft has a free viewer for XPS too.

If you are on a PC you can open an InDesign file and print it to the XPS printer and, in theory  :laugh: , it should be as good as a PDF.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

Quote from: Captain_Type on January 08, 2010, 11:48:53 AM
Quote from: ratintrap on January 08, 2010, 11:25:03 AM
Quote from: Joe on January 07, 2010, 11:47:59 PMIt's also an option in Publisher to export XPS.

I would imagine that most if not all people using Publisher have no idea what XPS is.
As near as I can tell, people using Publisher have no idea that they can create a PDF either.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Laurens

Quote from: KappAdv on January 08, 2010, 11:26:28 AMI have fortunately not run across this in the production environment.  However our PC tech guy here at work shows me Windows 7 a few months before release and how they have a new type of file like a pdf.  He starts sending out memos using xps format and of course no one can open them because the rest of the company has either a Mac or is running Windows XP.

One has to wonder why Microsoft didn't force the viewer upon users by including it in the most recent Service Pack. It wouldn't be beyond them.
Having fun writing about prepress & printing for my Prepressure site

Joe

Tried sending one through Prinergy but Prinergy won't touch it. It says it is not a valid input file type.. Here is an XPS file though if anyone want to give it a try.

NiXPS has a viewer for the Mac but it's not free. NiXPS View v3.0 for Mac
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Syphon

We haven't receive any XPS files, yet.
But is Microsoft XPS a good thing or a bad thing for prepress? I prefer to stick to Adobe PDFs since we have few problems, especially when prepress creates them. We often do end up making them since none of our clients know what a PDF is.
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

beermonster

i'd say bad at the moment

some folks get excel, word and powerpoint - and publishiter files to deal with - some goon now has xps to save their "designer graduate from college so i know what i'm talking about" files to - good luck you poor bastids who get these files....
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

RiotMac

Quote from: Joe on January 12, 2010, 11:18:38 PMTried sending one through Prinergy but Prinergy won't touch it. It says it is not a valid input file type.. Here is an XPS file though if anyone want to give it a try.

NiXPS has a viewer for the Mac but it's not free. NiXPS View v3.0 for Mac

I figured Prinergy wouldn't handle it yet. Probably won't for a while and like someone else said... knowing Kodak it will be an $8k option.

I personally don't think XPS will make any appearance around here and an actual dent in Adobe PDF's hold on the industry.

David

Quote from: Joe on January 12, 2010, 11:18:38 PMTried sending one through Prinergy but Prinergy won't touch it. It says it is not a valid input file type..

Esko Suite 7 doesn't recognize the file type, either that or I don't have a license for it.
 :kiss:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

tapdn

Postscript error on my Compose rip... no go
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

beermonster

if you change the suffix to .zip you can "unpackage" (unstuff) the thing and see the bits and bobs that make it - messy and i have no idea (read i dont really care) what all the bits and bobs are tho

Captain_Type

That's pretty callous, considering Bob's your uncle...
Esko Automation Engine 23
ArtPro+ 23
Javelin Imagesetter

Farabomb

Yea, EVO won't touch it. I always have my laptop with me so I can easily convert it to a PDF. Just hope I'm not on vacation when the first one hits.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

mattbeals

http://www.globalgraphics.com/products/harlequin_rip/

It's the only RIP I know of that will process XPS files natively. The X in XPS is XML and the XPS file itself is a ZIP archive. The XPS viewer is simply that; a viewer for the container files. The Mac program,NiXPS, is the only XPS native editor that I know of. It's good software.

As for whether XPS will ever show up in print production, probably not for a while in commercial offset work like most people here are involved with. But for in plant operations I wouldn't think it will be much longer. Why hasn't it shown up already? Microsoft is tired of paying attorneys fee's and penalties for anti-trust lawsuits. That's part of why they didn't include their own anti-virus software in Windows 7. People love to sue Microsoft...
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

beermonster

haaa well i'm fine with my harlequin rip then - you lot can keep ya fancy schmantzy xemeffinhell/preenergy/evoeevil/truepooflow and apeegee wrips - i gonna keeps my harleyquin psl3 rip coz i can use xps files - so sod you lot :cheesy: :tongue:

the world is a safer place today