News:

Main Menu

Imposition Books - XMF

Started by off_set, February 04, 2019, 10:15:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

off_set

Hi there.
We have been working only with Corel and Quite Imposing.
Recently XMF arrived and we had like... 3h of trainning.

Been successfuly implementing and creating templates, except for books.
We're trying to use XMF for digital printing also, not only for plates.
Been strugling with how to create booklets with different number of pages on the same book (example - 4x16 and 1x12 pages)

Manual doesn't help, videos... can't find much.

Can anyone give us a little help? Even if it's a video for a similar software. We don't mind trying to replicate on our environment, just need to know where to start.

Thanks in advance.

Tracy

Are you trying to create saddle stitch templates for the Press?
I think I may know why you are having an issue
Are you trying to create a template with different sheet sizes?

Diddler

Sounds like you can create 1 sheet with an impo on it and having trouble with adding more.
At the bottom left you can see the sheet, you need to right click and add another or click flow auto.

If you can post some screen shots I will be able to help you out more.

Bookwork is quickly done using pagination mode.
You can't polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

off_set

Quote from: Tracy on February 04, 2019, 11:30:52 AMAre you trying to create saddle stitch templates for the Press?
I think I may know why you are having an issue
Are you trying to create a template with different sheet sizes?

Hi there. No, same sizes, just saddle and stitch.
What we can't do is having different number of pages per booklet in a Book.
:)

off_set

Quote from: Diddler on February 04, 2019, 11:45:55 PMSounds like you can create 1 sheet with an impo on it and having trouble with adding more.
At the bottom left you can see the sheet, you need to right click and add another or click flow auto.

If you can post some screen shots I will be able to help you out more.

Bookwork is quickly done using pagination mode.

Hi!
Yes, saddle and stitch. I know how to add more pages, just wanted to know how to make the booklets with different number of pages per group on the same book.

But I will try to grab some snapshots if that helps.

And thank you!

off_set

So, I got it!
As I was testing it again to send you some snapshots, I figured it out!
"Assembling Sections" -  This is where to go to separate the pages in groups, so the saddle and stitch works along the book with different number of pages. If someone as me doesn't know, here it is.
It's really simple and I was overthinking it.
And thank you very much for your quick support!

Tracy

Diddler mentioned pagination mode, very handy for books!
It works with stripping sheet templates

XMF has imposition templates and stripping sheet templates
the stripping sheet templates need to be exactly how you need them
for pagination mode and the templates are not editable when you use them in pagination mode.
but Pagination mode makes sense out of complex jobs, different sheet sizes etc..

Diddler

Glad you worked it out out. As Tracy mentioned Pagination mode once you are used to it is really quick and effective.

We are all here to help anytime.
You can't polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

off_set

Quote from: Tracy on February 05, 2019, 11:38:57 AMDiddler mentioned pagination mode, very handy for books!
It works with stripping sheet templates

XMF has imposition templates and stripping sheet templates
the stripping sheet templates need to be exactly how you need them
for pagination mode and the templates are not editable when you use them in pagination mode.
but Pagination mode makes sense out of complex jobs, different sheet sizes etc..

Hi tracy. Back to this subject now from the stripping pages template point of view as you both mentioned.
I've been fiddling around the stripping page templates but thinking if there is a quicker way to separate stuff.

Example for digital printing:

- Book with 60 pages (3x 16 pages + 1x 12 pages)
- Pages size: A4
- Paper printing size: SRA3

- Created a stripping sheet template with F4-1, saved it;
- Added the signature based on the template, for 16 pages;
- Added other 16 pages but if I don't manual add a section divider it joins all 32 pages on the same "saddle stich";

Do I still have to manually divide sections in order to work? Or this division is supposed to happen on the sheet's or sheet's groups?
I suppose the sheet's panel is to divide/group signatures with the same configurations (color, paper, etc)...

Thanks again, in advance.

Tracy

You will need to create a stripping sheet template for the 16pg and one for the 12pg
Have it all set up how you want it, I am assuming you are not using pagination mode correct?
since you are using the same sheet size for the 16 and the 12 you will be ok.
so when you add the 12 pg you will need to go to sheets and add the 12pg template there not signatures
 I will report back shortly, day just starting!

:laugh: ok just looked up sra3 paper size, if your running this as 1 spread digitally I don't see why
you would need separate templates, maybe I'm not understanding, you need a 60pg book saddle stitch correct?
if so 1 template should work.
let me know and I will post screen shots!

off_set

Hello there!
Yes, it's for digital printing in this case.

Lets simplify it and pretend it's less than 60 pages:
- I've created  the stripping page template for saddle and stitch;
- I need to divide the book in:
  a) 1x16 pages (saddle and stitch)
  b) 1x12 pages (saddle and stitch)
But the 16 pages group and the 12 pages group are perfectly binded between themselves. (Sorry, english is not my native language so some technical stuff may be a little more difficult for me to explain :) ) That's why I think I need to create some section dividers or it will saddle stitch the all book... am I wrong?

Now, of course a book has more repetitions of this groups and if I have to multiply this for a 300 pages book, it's a little bit more of work and I thought there was a quicker way.

I've added an image to help.

Tracy

I see your using pagination mode, don't think you need it for this job.
Is there a reason you are trying to split this up into 16's and a 12?

You could just run the entire 60pgs as a Saddle stitch with 1 template
I see in your screen shot you have not added sheets yet.

so what is your end product going to be? 15sheets stitched together?
Also in your list I see page 1 is running with pg 16 is this correct?
Shouldn't pg1 run with pg 60?

off_set

We're making Books sewn to the spine so you divide the entire book in saddle and stitched groups (multiples of 4 pages) that are then stacked.

For the 60 pages book, for example, I would need 3 groups of 16 pages, and 2 groups of 12 pages. Each group is saddle and stitched, and then stacked and sewn to the spine of the cover. So yes, if the first group has 16 pages, it should be 1...16 instead of 1...60.

On each SRA3 sheet (a little bigger than A3) we print 2 pages on the front and 2 on the back and then fold.

I didn't create the sheets, because I didn't know if starting from the signatures was the right way or not.
What I was trying to accomplish is, having on the same file, a way of quickly divide the pages in these groups. As I said previously on this post, I know how to separate manually, adding a section here or on the pagination mode.

Joe

To do this you would need to do it the way you are doing it or change the binding style to perfect bound even though it isn't. Saddle stitch will always pair the first and last page together, ie...1 an 60 while perfect bound will do exactly as you are wanting it, ie...1 and 16 etc...
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

Ok! Starting to make sense to me. change to perfect bind like Joe said, I think you may have to do sections
like your doing since the template is 4 pages, you will only need 1 template,
I have never done anything like this, but it should work.
I will see if I can try it later.