News:

Main Menu

Accent marks

Started by Pointyhat, February 12, 2008, 08:34:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pointyhat

Does anyone know how to get the accent mark over the R in Dvorak's name?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonin_Dvořák

jimking

The only thing I could come up with is "option i" on the Mac and then rotate 180. Then manually place it above the R.

papa v2.0

if your in InDesign try the glyphs menu

ř

DigitalCrapShoveler

Shift-option-t will give you the correct mark, however I do not think you can set this over a letter on a Mac without doing what Jim said, placing it over the letter manually.
Member #285 - Civilian

Pointyhat

Thanks kids!
Hey DigitalCrap :) didn't I see you in a bunny outfit yesterday?

DigitalCrapShoveler

Maybe... Damn! The hourly-hotel manager said I would have complete anonymity.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: Pointyhat on February 12, 2008, 08:34:18 AMDoes anyone know how to get the accent mark over the R in Dvorak's name?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonin_Dvořák

This one? ř

I'm using Leopard so may have to adjust these if you are using Tiger or Panther.

Open your International system preference and make sure "Show input menu in menu bar" is checked and also make sure "Character Palette" is also checked as shown in 1st thumbnail image. Now you should have a little icon with a flag in the upper right corner of your screen. Click it and select "Show Character Palette". Click on "Accented Latin" and you should see the characters as shown in the 2nd thumbnail image. Click the one you want and then click the "Insert" button at the bottom right and it will insert the character wherever your cursor is positioned in your application.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

Did you try copy/paste from the browser? I've done that before into InDesign and it works.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigitalCrapShoveler

Thanks Joe, that is awesome. Learn something new everyday!
Member #285 - Civilian

Pointyhat

Quote from: gnubler on February 12, 2008, 10:51:13 AMDid you try copy/paste from the browser? I've done that before into InDesign and it works.
i did, it didn't work, thanks tho.
Yes I've blocked off a an hour or two to do Joe's suggestion :D

Joe

Quote from: Pointyhat on February 12, 2008, 12:07:22 PM
Quote from: gnubler on February 12, 2008, 10:51:13 AMDid you try copy/paste from the browser? I've done that before into InDesign and it works.
i did, it didn't work, thanks tho.
Yes I've blocked off a an hour or two to do Joe's suggestion :D

Ha Ha...I never promised it would be easy.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

hotmetal

Quote from: Joe  link=topic=1142.msg12928#msg12928 date=1202833272Open your International system preference and make sure "Show input menu in menu bar" is checked and also make sure "Character Palette" is also checked as shown in 1st thumbnail image. Now you should have a little icon with a flag in the upper right corner of your screen.

Excellent, thank you very much for revealing this and waking me from my Rip Van Winkle slumber. Wondered what that little flag up there meant but hadn't bothered to click on it. I thought my new Mac was just being patriotic and figured if I clicked on it I'd get the current Homeland Security alert level. This is right up my alley. What other wonders await my re-awakened curiosity?
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

frailer

Or, if you're using Font Explorer, [here he goes again   :rolleyes: ]; go Tools>Keyboard Viewer...places a l'il ole keyboard there; toggle Option key to view the underlying alternatives.

BTW, there's an Information button at the bottom of the font set-list. Select a font, press the button...it brings up the full set to look at. But proper-like...not like Suitcase.
Click on a character and it enlarges it in the side-bar. The slider varies the size for a zoom-in.   :cheesy:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.