FEX needing to be reinstalled with every log on

Started by Contrast, May 12, 2009, 12:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Contrast

Mac G4 OS 10.4.11
FEX 1.2.3
I'm having a problem all of a sudden with FEX. Whenever I log out or restart I have to reinstall the application. Well 9 times out of 10. This problem started after  an IT guy was in changing out the battery backups. I have no idea what the problem could be, I've been using this app since it came out and have had no problems with it whatsoever.
Major problem being loading fonts to Quark, if I have to log out, then I have to reinstall and it's a huge pain in the ass.
I also loaded CS4 on the machine a few weeks ago, pretty sure that's not the problem but I'll just throw that out there in case anyone has a clue.
Thanks.

gnubler

Why do you have to reinstall? What error are you getting?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

I have CS4 installed and have not had this issue so I don't think CS4 is the issue as you have already surmised.

Same question as gnubler, ie...why do you have to reinstall?

I'd definitely run applejack and have it find and remove corrupted preferences which sounds like it could be the problem. Applejack will also repair permissions which probably won't hurt either.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Contrast

I have no clue. hence the question, just seeing if anyone else has had this problem. If I log out or restart for any reason, my FEX will start up (set as a startup item) but then I have to go through the steps for installation. No error message, no crash, no nothing. Welcome to FEX installation page.

I'm only mentioning the battery back episode and the CS4 installation because, A. the problem began after this machine was shut down and plugged into a new battery backup (when I restarted the next morning I had to reinstall FEX) and B. the CS4 install was the last major upgrade I've done.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Contrast on May 12, 2009, 01:18:07 PMI have no clue. hence the question, just seeing if anyone else has had this problem. If I log out or restart for any reason, my FEX will start up (set as a startup item) but then I have to go through the steps for installation. No error message, no crash, no nothing. Welcome to FEX installation page.

I'm only mentioning the battery back episode and the CS4 installation because, A. the problem began after this machine was shut down and plugged into a new battery backup (when I restarted the next morning I had to reinstall FEX) and B. the CS4 install was the last major upgrade I've done.

Did any of your User settings change, or have you added any Users?
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: Contrast on May 12, 2009, 01:18:07 PMI have no clue. hence the question, just seeing if anyone else has had this problem. If I log out or restart for any reason, my FEX will start up (set as a startup item) but then I have to go through the steps for installation. No error message, no crash, no nothing. Welcome to FEX installation page.

Are you sure you don't have the installation file set as the startup option instead of the application file? A coworker of mine did this a while back. Once you open the original DMG file and copy the application to the application folder you have to double click it to install. Then put the resulting FEX file in the dock or startup items. My coworker just copied it over from the DMG and then added it to the startup items and it tried to install every time she booted her computer.

Contrast

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on May 12, 2009, 01:24:35 PMDid any of your User settings change, or have you added any Users?

No.

And Joe, I've had the app installed on this machine for over 3 years. Just got wonky last Friday. I will check that because I have reinstalled.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Check this out... many different responses, but one common problem, FEX log in.

http://typophile.com/node/37947
Member #285 - Civilian

Contrast

Looks like it got fubar in the startup items, it never dawned on me to check that. Thanks very much.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

What was fubar in startup items? Interesting thread. Joe & DCS truly are ninja masters.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

gnubler

Google is the future H.A.L. of the world. They know everything.