Weird FEX Pro behaviour

Started by frailer, July 25, 2010, 10:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

When firing up FEX Pro earlier, I kept getting messages saying my Mac was trying to hook up to the other production Mac, under AFP (we're 10.4.11/PPC still). It (FEX) would then lock up, needing Forece Quit. The other machine runs freebie FEX, but there were no apps open on it, as not being used today. Even when I shut the unused mac down, same thing happened.
Got around it by Temp loading fonts in Fusion, almost unheard of these days. Later, was able to activate the fonts in FEX Pro, no worries.   :huh:
This may be after I updated FEX Pro to 2.5.1 last week, not sure. WITF would FEX have to do with looking for another Mac under AFP?
Am going to run major maintenance this arvo, but any insights welcome. This is on top of Acrobat 9 woes posted elsewhere.   :sad:  Feels like St Elswheres here today...stretcher cases in the lobby.    :laugh:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

frailer

Tech help query filed with Linotype. Shall see...

Oh, should I find .plist file, and remove?
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

It sounds like it was trying to find a font and open it from the other machine. I thought FEX automatically copied all fonts to the local machine instead of allowing you to open them across the network. Maybe that is a "new" feature of the latest FEX. Start both machines and track down the offender and remove it from the FEX list on the machine that is trying to load it from the 2nd mac.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

You must have it set to Auto Load or something. Like Joe says, start up both and then check the paths of the loaded fonts to see which one is on the other mac and take it out.
Should do the trick, or you could move the plist to your desktop, if that takes care of it you're  good, but you will need to reset any prefs/sets you had made previously.

edit for lousy typing skilz
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

frailer

Sounds logical. Shall follow up. I may have it set to AutoLoad after the Update. I normally wouldn't. Could also be a 'feature' of the updated version...sets it to scrounge the network for something it thinks it needs.   :huh:
Thanks.

frailer

Have checked Prefs settings this morning. Nothing outa whack, as far as I can see. Nothing set to Auto Load. I just unmounted the other Mac's volume that keeps being requested...no weird messages as a result.. Behaving normally.
Gremlins asleep? For now?   :undecided:

frailer

Finally got back to this here Friday arvo...late. Tracked 2 fonts with Paths to other Mac. Removed 'em. No dice still. GRRRR!
Went then to [com.linotype.FontExplorerX.plist] and dumped it...Voilà. Seems to have fixed it, (he says, cautiously).
Thank you linesmen, thank you ballboys.   :grin:
Oh, BTW, with my brief history in this stuff, this is my 1st live, in-the-field, dumping of a plist, that has actually worked. Had to work hard at not falling off the chair.
I had ealier run applejack without it making any diff., but this was a specific corruption, it seems. Segue Twilight Zone theme...

David

What I do, is take the plist files and move them to the desktop. Which removes them from system use, but keeps it close so that if the newly generated plist doesn't do the trick, you can put the original one back where you got it from and move on to other trouble shooting techniques.

a little safety net...  just in case
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

Before this thread gets jacked, I have an FEX question. I was previously using Suitcase for many years, and I like how when you shut it down and restart it, there are fonts that can be set for permanent activation, and fonts that are temporary. In FEX, it seems like every font I activate is permanent. I can't find any settings to mimic those of Suitcase. Does it have these capabilities?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Captain_Type

Sorry, Digital Sig1, I don't have an answer for YOUR question, but I was going to suggest downloading and running FontNuke every once in a while to clear the font caches (if you have Snow Leopard), and Applejack for previous versions.
That should clear up a lot of font issues.
Esko Automation Engine 23
ArtPro+ 23
Javelin Imagesetter

DigitalCrapShoveler

Yes. They are in the Preferences. Check the Advanced tab.
Member #285 - Civilian

DigitalCrapShoveler

BTW, I ran Suitcase for many years. FEX is 1000 times better and more dependable.
Member #285 - Civilian

DigiCorn

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on July 30, 2010, 08:15:36 AMYes. They are in the Preferences. Check the Advanced tab.
Well, something isn't working right, then. I have multiple fonts that remain active at all times... if I deactivate them, quit FEX and restart, they reactivate. Others, I want to be permanent, so I activate them, but on restart they remain closed. Here are my settings:
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigitalCrapShoveler

Here's mine...

I use FEX in a more manual style.

Member #285 - Civilian

DigitalCrapShoveler

Do you have a shitload of fonts in your system fonts and/or Libraries?
Member #285 - Civilian