News:

Main Menu

MicroText font

Started by andyfest, September 13, 2011, 06:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyfest

Has anyone out there done any work using the Xerox MicroText font? Just wondering if it has to be used in a Xerox-only workflow environment? Is it used specifically for digital press work, or can it be adapted for use on offset presses with any workflow? Any help or experiences in this area would be appreciated!
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Stiv

I do not have the font.

This info from Xerox.

Designed specifically for use with FreeFlow Makeready,

Requires use of a Xerox FreeFlow Print Server or DocuSP 5.1 Controller,

Requires high quality (smooth) paper for optimum visual effects.

NOTE: Not intended for use with scaling to other point sizes or rotation other than 90 degrees.

andyfest

Yeah, from what I'm seeing it's produced by Xerox and intended for use with a Xerox-based workflow in conjunction with one of their digital presses. Just wondering if anyone has used it or seen it used in an offset environment using any other workflow.

DigiCorn

Can you convert to outlines/paths?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

hmmm, never knew that you had to use a specific software to be able to resolve fonts less than 1 point.  Nice marketing

QuoteXerox Corporation scientists have developed a font so small that you need a magnifying glass to read the words. The new MicroText™ Specialty Imaging Font, just 1/100th of an inch high, is designed to help make valuable documents with personal information such as birth certificates, personal identification papers, and checks even harder to forge.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

I typeset a bank check a few weeks ago and used some 1-2pt text for a security line.  :laugh: It was tiny.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

andyfest

MicroText is generally used as a security device, and that is something one of our pharma clients is asking about. It's so small that can't see that it could be used in offset, but maybe I'm wrong. Xerox looks like they are pitching it specifically for their own mono- and colour digital presses. For the hell of it, I tried typesetting some 1 inch text and scaling it to 1%. I then dropped it into a test workflow that created a 1 bit tif. It was too jagged at 2438 dpi to use on a plate I would think. There must be something in Xerox's software to deal with text that size. The resolution must be super-high.