OSX Monterey and AFP to Windows server

Started by TBKeffer, November 03, 2022, 05:54:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TBKeffer

I have multiple Macs running Monterey. We mount a Win job server to these Macs using AFP instead of SMB.
We connect using AFP because of the advantages of file indexing.

For example: using Adobe Bridge to view graphics on a mounted server is impossible if connected using SMB.
When using AFP, Bridge has no problem.

We also have the new version of ExtremeZIP (or whatever it is called now) installed on the Win Server.

Here is my problem. The Macs seem to take ownership of certain files. Some files wont delete. Some files wont copy or move. We have Pitstop and Switch hotfolders on this Win server that will not move files where they should move because they believe that the file is still open.

The only way i can get these file to move on is to unmount the server from the Mac.
Anyone experiencing this kind of problem? Could Adobe be causing the issue?
I know that Adobe is saving a lot of information in the background. I turned off Creative Cloud but that doesn't help.

G7 Process Control Master Printer - Prinergy - Insite - Metrix

Joe

Adobe Bridge absolutely can view graphics on a mounted server. Have been doing it for years unless you are running really, really old software. Even Apple no longer supports AFP.

QuoteAFP dates to the pre-OS X days, with a version appearing in System 6 in the late 1980s. As with most older protocols, it got long in the tooth, and Apple went from just supporting the Windows and Linux world's SMB to shifting to it as the only built-in sharing method.

But if you insist...what Mac OS version are you running and what version of Windows server? And what File System are you using on the Macs?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

RMPrepress

On our Mac's running Monterey we only use the SMB protocol for all of our Windows shares from 3 Windows machines including two Windows Server 2019's and Windows 11 PC that we share out Fiery hot folders to our Mac's.
Never any issues.
Some issues in the past, yes, but ovah the last several years no more....seems Apple finally got the SMB protocol working right.
We dropped the use of ExtremeZIP years ago....no longer necessary.
Manager/Default IT Guy - 2022 Mac Studio, Apple M1 Max, 64 GB - Ventura 13.6
Kodak Prinergy 10.0, Kodak Insite 10.0 and Kodak Proofing System 10.1
Epson SureColor P9000 w/XRite Spectroproofer - G7 Master Printer
Heidelberg Prinect 2022 + Suprasetter 106 CTP

EmptyWords

Yea, I am w/ Joe on this one, we use Bridge on SMB shares all the time with no issues, been doing that for a long time now, we originally had the ExtremeZIP but around the launch of Mavericks when Apple depreciated the AFP protocol, we made the jump to almost all of our Macs using the SMB protocol (with the exception of two old Macs that run our ancient Topaz scanners) with no real issues.

As we have moved forward replacing old servers (2000, 2003 & 2008 Win Servers) to newer deployments of 2012, 2016 & 2019, along with newer Mac OS upgrades, we haven't looked back, AFP is pretty much a dead technology and I am actually really surprised that Apple has not completely removed the protocol from the newer Mac OS versions.
Esko Automation Engine  •  Imaging Engine  •  Nexus  •  Odystar  •  Neo  •  ArtPro  •  ArtPro+ Layout
Esko ArtPro+ Advanced  •  ArtPro+ Essentials  •  Esko PowerStepper/PowerLayout  •  Kodak Preps 8
Hyphen ImpoProof 8400S  •  CGS Oris ColorTuner // Web  •  Epson Stylus Pro 7900  •  Apogee Prepress
Agfa/Screen Avalon  •  Xerox iGen  •  Versant 180  •  Iridesse  •  Mark Andy  •  Heidelberg  •  Kirk-Rudy

Joe

Missed that they are running Monterey...in that case I would definitely use SMB.

TBKeffer

Quote from: Joe on November 03, 2022, 06:35:37 AMAdobe Bridge absolutely can view graphics on a mounted server. Have been doing it for years unless you are running really, really old software. Even Apple no longer supports AFP.
When I change my share to SMB and open the newest Adobe Bridge, and try to point to that server, I immediately get the spinning wheel of death. I need to mention that we have a 4 TB server with thousands of files.
G7 Process Control Master Printer - Prinergy - Insite - Metrix

RMPrepress

I only use Bridge for managing/dispersing our color management settings to all our Adobe software on each workstation.
Out of curiosity I opened Bridge 2022 went to libraries and i see all of my shares mounted via SMB in the left folders pane i believe.  From there i have no problem navigating through them all.
One share is Kodak Araxi share and that one is 5TB and is currently at 3.25 TB full and i have no problem drilling down through several folders into live Prinergy jobs and opening PDF's etc.

What windows server version are you connecting to?
There is a chance you could be experiencing some conflicts between SMB versions 1-2-and 3

Joe

Quote from: RMPrepress on November 08, 2022, 11:40:43 AMWhat windows server version are you connecting to?
There is a chance you could be experiencing some conflicts between SMB versions 1-2-and 3
Agree with this. If you are on Windows 2012 Server or newer disable SMB 1 and enable SMB 2/3.

If you are on any Windows server older than 2012 it does not have SMB 2/3 so that would not be an option.

RMPrepress

Here is one of many articles on the internet about why and how to disable SMB 1 on Windows servers 2012 and later. https://www.rootusers.com/disable-smb-version-1-0-in-windows-server-2016/

EmptyWords

Quote from: Joe on November 08, 2022, 12:28:50 PM
Quote from: RMPrepress on November 08, 2022, 11:40:43 AMWhat windows server version are you connecting to?
There is a chance you could be experiencing some conflicts between SMB versions 1-2-and 3
Agree with this. If you are on Windows 2012 Server or newer disable SMB 1 and enable SMB 2/3.

If you are on any Windows server older than 2012 it does not have SMB 2/3 so that would not be an option.
Quote from: RMPrepress on November 08, 2022, 01:22:48 PMHere is one of many articles on the internet about why and how to disable SMB 1 on Windows servers 2012 and later. https://www.rootusers.com/disable-smb-version-1-0-in-windows-server-2016/

I agree, that link is a pretty good synopsis on what to do to audit and disable the SMB1 protocol, our main file servers (3) all have the outdated SMB1 protocol disabled.
Esko Automation Engine  •  Imaging Engine  •  Nexus  •  Odystar  •  Neo  •  ArtPro  •  ArtPro+ Layout
Esko ArtPro+ Advanced  •  ArtPro+ Essentials  •  Esko PowerStepper/PowerLayout  •  Kodak Preps 8
Hyphen ImpoProof 8400S  •  CGS Oris ColorTuner // Web  •  Epson Stylus Pro 7900  •  Apogee Prepress
Agfa/Screen Avalon  •  Xerox iGen  •  Versant 180  •  Iridesse  •  Mark Andy  •  Heidelberg  •  Kirk-Rudy