Time Machine and OS Install

Started by Tracy, November 26, 2018, 09:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottrsimons

Joe, it's just a quick way to get to use the Apple's default system. Just so you don't have to go to a finder window to use it. Once you select the computer it opens up the same interface.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

Joe

I have the Apple screen sharing app in my dock so when I launch it I just pick which Mac I want to control from the list of recently used ones and I am then at the desktop of that Mac. From there I can do anything I want with that Mac.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

Never heard of screen sharing! Hey this may be something I might be interested in, I will wait till I get through the OS install

I'm going to lose XMF on Mac5 anyway - no license update
so I think I will go Mohave.

Thanks Guys!!

Tracy

Moving pitstop 2018  from Mac 5 to Mac 6
Mac 6 still has the inactive 2013 on it
I think I need to uninstall 2013 before putting 2018 on?
I can't remember how to uninstall pitstop :-[

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on December 10, 2018, 11:40:23 AMMoving pitstop 2018  from Mac 5 to Mac 6
Mac 6 still has the inactive 2013 on it
I think I need to uninstall 2013 before putting 2018 on?
I can't remember how to uninstall pitstop :-[

Pitstop 2018 will overwrite Pitstop 2013. If you uninstall it not sure but it might delete any custom actions you have. Upgrading from one version to the other will keep them.

Tracy

exported all my actions!
going to do it!

Tracy

Well that was painless pitstop is easy peasy!

Tracy

preparing for OS install-not doing it today, making sure Mac 6 is up to speed before I do it
Mac 6 is pretty much identical to Mac 5 regarding prefs etc.. so I'm not so worried, plus I copied
all my prefs and scripts and plugins. as far as I know :laugh:

Do I need to manually uninstall anything before the clean install?
I am going to read up on it before I do it, but any tips are welcome!!!!

Do I need to download the os onto a flash drive?
I have 2 drives 1 is fusion I don't think the os goes on the fusion

Tracy

Ok there is a whole lot to this then I thought
I will read up on it and then ask the questions!

Joe

If you have creative cloud installed you should log out of it before you start. If you have Pits top activated on it you should de-a ctivate the license before you start.

To do a clean install you will need to create a bootable flash drive of the installer so you can boot into the installer on the flash drive and launch disk utility so you can initialize the internal hard drive before you start installing the new OS. For that you will need something like this:

DiskMaker X

Tracy

Huh! so you don't just download the os and put it on a flash drive?
So when I go to erase the hard drive do I erase the fusion drive too?
or does it erase that during the install?

Tracy

Ok I looked into the disk maker X pretty cool! thanks!
I found a page of instructions I will read it. I need to get a USB - again! :laugh:

mc hristel

Didn't Apple add a hidden boot/restore partition to all their computers? Hold down command+ option+ R or something to boot into it it. It lets you wipe the main drive via Disk Utility, and restore/install the OS. If I remember correctly, there is an option to reinstall the factory default OS, or install/restore to the latest OS available.

Joe

I think you can do it from recovery but you will still need the new OS on a flash or external drive. It won't install the newest os x on its own unless the computer came with it installed. Unless they have changed that recently.

Tracy

I did see that Scott but since I'm in training I wasn't sure about it I got the flash drive not at work till later b4 printing from my phone!!! I've come a long way I guess! Tee hee Rex