Make no mistake about Typekit

Started by Joe, July 11, 2014, 03:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Quote from: Joe on July 13, 2014, 11:33:21 PMJust for my own peace of mind I created an ID document and packaged it. It will NOT package typekit fonts.

Am assuming they will Embed on Export, if set that way.   :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Designia(o_O)

What the hell is typekit? I'm at CS4 and have no expectations of upgrading because I don't deal with client files. Sounds like an effing nightmare. Is this some font utility to go with CC?

Joe

It is font syncing service Adobe includes with Creative Cloud. The fonts reside on the cloud and you can use them in the Adobe Apps. There are around 1,000 desktop fonts and 4,200 for web use included with CC...not typefaces which means a regular, bold, italic, and bold italic version of a typeface counts as 4 fonts. And although there are 1,000 available you can only have 100 synced at a time. Unless you want to pay the extortion fee to have more (See post #3 of this thread for the extortion price list). You can still buy the Adobe Font Folio library for $3,000 though. I remember when it was over $10,000. What a deal. :sarcasm:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on July 14, 2014, 12:15:31 AM
Quote from: Joe on July 13, 2014, 11:33:21 PMJust for my own peace of mind I created an ID document and packaged it. It will NOT package typekit fonts.

Am assuming they will Embed on Export, if set that way.   :undecided:

Well I haven't tried it but I assume so. But it is Adobe though.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Adobe assumes a lot about the ability of desinger producing a printable PDF.
Member #285 - Civilian

Farabomb

And I just got over my reoccurring nightmares involving fonts.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Designia(o_O)

Quote from: Joe on July 14, 2014, 08:10:06 AMIt is font syncing service Adobe includes with Creative Cloud. The fonts reside on the cloud and you can use them in the Adobe Apps. There are around 1,000 desktop fonts and 4,200 for web use included with CC...not typefaces which means a regular, bold, italic, and bold italic version of a typeface counts as 4 fonts. And although there are 1,000 available you can only have 100 synced at a time. Unless you want to pay the extortion fee to have more (See post #3 of this thread for the extortion price list). You can still buy the Adobe Font Folio library for $3,000 though. I remember when it was over $10,000. What a deal. :sarcasm:

It "includes" the service? Does that mean you HAVE to use it?

Joe

No you don't have too. But I'll bet most designers will.

Designia(o_O)

Ugh, so many new young designers without proper training. You can't barely blame them, these design teachers know nothing about prepress or font management. One intern I had working was copying and pasting back and forth from Illustrator to InDesign, because that's what her "awesome" graphic design professor taught her.

DigitalCrapShoveler

WOW! That is absolutely unbelievable. So, are you telling me that Prepress can't be taught?
Member #285 - Civilian

Designia(o_O)

DigitalCrapShoveler

...and the world is full of 'em.
Member #285 - Civilian

Designia(o_O)

I don't think they teach prepress at all in a cert class or college programs. What they should do is intern them all out to print shops, not design agencies.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Designia on July 14, 2014, 12:58:10 PMI don't think they teach prepress at all in a cert class or college programs. What they should do is intern them all out to print shops, not design agencies.

Agreed. That would at least weed out 98% of them. A tour in the bindery would also be pretty beneficial. The 1% left will be okay, IF they can acclimate to a prison mentality.
Member #285 - Civilian

Designia(o_O)

Oh god, I don't mean for them to WORK in one! Good lord, I wouldn't wish that on ANYONE.   :grin:
I just mean to intern to get an understanding of prepress before they become designers.