Google Maps API Goes Paid

Started by Slappy, May 05, 2018, 11:40:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

If you use their API for one of those Google Map insets on your website, I guess it's now on a pay-as-you-go system. Doesn't much bother me, but is interesting for a few reasons, at least to me.

1. I was somehow put in charge of updating/maintaining the company site for the shop that shit-canned me around Christmas in 2016 and as part of that, I added the Google Map to our Contact page, using my own Gmail address for reasons I can't recall.

2. I have no intention of exploring what happens to said website when I don't sign up for this new paid system.

See, they have nobody that I'm aware of to update or troubleshoot the site when stuff like this starts breaking. Hell, somebody I'm still friendly with there asked me who has admin rights to their faceThing page to update it. Not me!! I removed myself from all that crap days after they cut ties so - good fuckin' luck!
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

According to the email announcement that I got from Google:

QuoteWe would like to highlight a few updates that may impact your implementation. Beginning June 11th, we are launching our new pricing plan and providing all users access to support. We'll continue to offer a free tier — all developers will receive $200 of free monthly usage of our core products.

In addition, this change will require you to enable billing and associate it with all of your Google Maps Platform projects. Creating a billing account helps us better understand your usage so we can continue developing helpful products. It also allows you to scale easily with less downtime and fewer performance issues if your product grows beyond the $200 of free monthly usage. For additional visibility and control you can set daily quotas or billing alerts.

so the first $200 per month is still free. This will only affect users that are using a shitload of mapping stuff. Later in that email they said based on the last 3 months of usage that b4print would be under the $200 tier and would remain free.

If your email address is associated with your old places website I think you are OK as it says you, meaning you the owner of that email address, have to enable billing for that account. If you don't my guess is that will disable the Google Maps ID for your account. Which isn't a problem unless you want to use Google Maps in the future with that account. I would search around and see if there is a way to remove your account from their website. Can you go into Google Maps and remove the key from your account. That would kill their maps dead in the water and clear you of their website.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Slappy

Quote from: Joe on May 05, 2018, 01:17:47 PMIf your email address is associated with your old places website I think you are OK as it says you, meaning you the owner of that email address, have to enable billing for that account. If you don't my guess is that will disable the Google Maps ID for your account. Which isn't a problem unless you want to use Google Maps in the future with that account. I would search around and see if there is a way to remove your account from their website. Can you go into Google Maps and remove the key from your account. That would kill their maps dead in the water and clear you of their website.
I did look for a little bit on how to remove myself from that particular key, maybe I'll email support and see if they can make it happen.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.