Need a new EDC knife

Started by Farabomb, December 09, 2014, 02:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

For some reason this year there is nothing I really want for xmas that's obtainable so I figure a new knife is a good idea. I use a Kershaw NRG-II for a EDC now but it's discontinued. I'd get another but the ones I found they want a dumb amount of money for them.

I know there are a few knife people on here so I'd like opinions. Looking for a closed length around 4.5-5", g-10 handle or the like and a non-gloss finish. Also Ti scales are a bonus, one handed opening (but not assisted, I live in the rebublik of NJ. They are legal but I don't need any extra hassles from uninformed cops) and lightweight.

Price is only a minor issue. I have no issue paying for quality but I don't feel like loosing a $300+ knife. Benchmade are real nice for I feel you are paying a little bit for the name. Spyderco is another. I'm sure they are quality blades but they look cheap. I'd rather spend extra on the benchmade and have a great looking knife rather than what looks like a QVC plastic special.

Liner lock, back lock and roller lock are all fine. For some reason the liner locks always confuse people for some reason. Smooth, one handed opening with limited maintenance is what I'm looking for.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

Quote from: Farabomb on December 09, 2014, 02:52:44 PMFor some reason this year there is nothing I really want for xmas that's obtainable so I figure a new knife is a good idea.
The g/f can't spring for an XBox One or PS4?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

Seeing as it's my bonus she's spending...

I actually have zero interest in any of the new consoles. I have GT6 for PS3 and a bunch of other games I need to finish before I even consider another game purchase, nevermind a console purchase.

I have 2 RC cars I need to finish and a static model. Doesn't stop me from looking but rational me says finish the others before getting a new one. Hell I have 2 lego kits I have yet to build. Maybe if I was able to bring them into work and play with them like the boss does with his toys...

I did find a few knives that I like. Three SOG knives and one Kershaw. Of course when I was looking the woman mentions that she likes one. She'll get that later. Already bought her enough crap.

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00FPPABEA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3INXIJQGRXGF7&coliid=I144WGVBFDKHS8

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B001DZPER0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3INXIJQGRXGF7&coliid=I1WJF5W93S4ZYP

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0074FH84A/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3INXIJQGRXGF7&coliid=I16DVUA9KHQH2Z

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00I0S1BFW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3INXIJQGRXGF7&coliid=I1GNQ8LHRAIG7J

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

mattbeals

Sypderco Endura 4 FFG with GRN handle. Should be about $65 at Amazon. VG-10 steel, very comfortable to hold, very durable.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Farabomb

That's the first Spyderco I'd consider owning. The price isn't horrible, I have issues paying $100+ for a knife with a plastic handle.

The woman ordered gifts this weekend and Im banned from checking my own amazon account until after xmas.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Farabomb

Xmas came early.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

Farabomb

The visionary II is the new EDC for now and I'm pretty sure there is another one under the tree.  ;D

I also picked up for $20 at lowes another SOG little pocket knife that came with 2 key knifes. Damn sharp. I cut myself on it, warned the woman and she still cut herself on hers.

I have absolutely no reason to get more knives. I probably have over 50 right now. Still going to the knife store to buy a new RDC for the woman. After I found my backup, discontinued one outside last weekend she's banned from my irreplaceable ones.

I will say that it held up well for being outside for 4 months in the rain, mud and snow. Some rust on the edge but not horrible.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job