Navigator 8 Insufficient Memory to Boot-up and quits

Started by rickself, July 13, 2018, 09:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickself

Hello -
I just added memory to our XP that runs the Xitron Navigator 8 (yes, 8).
I took the pc from 2 gigs 2 8 and thought files should rip through the rip. Not a lot of change so I changed a couple of the memory settings and now Navigator warns
"insufficient Memory to boot up"
Memory Required: 10112 kb   
Memory Available 3139116 kb

In the Navigator window in the background, I see this:
Warning: Memory available for rip exceeds the 2047 MB process address space limit. Not all available ram can be used. Memory available for a rip reduced to fit.

How do I get the stinking thing to boot-up?
Rick Self, Prepress Oldie
Mac Mini M1   G5 Quad-Core Intel Sierra  HP DesignJet Z6 44in   RICOH Pro C5200S
Fiery BCE5  Xitron Navigator v.13   Screen 8000II   Azura Plates   Komori L640

Joe

Probably a 32-bit machine which can only ever see and use 4 GB. Might as well remove half of it. Not sure why it won't boot. What setting did you change?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

rickself

In the Configure RIP I increased the Network Buffer and the Printer Buffer, thinking this may speed up the ripping.
I got it back up and booting by going into the SW->Config Folder and moving the ConfigureRIP file out. All is back to normal as it replaced the file on next boot up, but hoping I could adjust the memory settings to get more RIP speed. Buying an upgrade to Navigator and a new box is out for now. Just the need for more speed. Some files take an hour to separate.
Mac Mini M1   G5 Quad-Core Intel Sierra  HP DesignJet Z6 44in   RICOH Pro C5200S

rickself

As for the 32 or 64bit, when the pc rebooted it showed 8 gigs available in the setup screen. Hoping Navigator/Harlequin 8 is 64 bit capable.

Joe

It isn't the PC that can't see or use 8 GB. It is Windows XP 32-bit that cannot.

QuoteHoping Navigator/Harlequin 8 is 64 bit capable.

It is not if it is running under Windows XP 32-bit. Now there was was a 64-bit version of XP but it was few and far between and a great shortage of 64-bit drivers for all kinds of hardware. I'd bet your Win XP is 32-bit.

Now again, if you changed some kind of memory setting somewhere (bios?) and it won't boot after you did that you need to go back and change that setting back to what it was previously.

rickself

Quote from: Joe on July 13, 2018, 12:00:01 PMIt isn't the PC that can't see or use 8 GB. It is Windows XP 32-bit that cannot.

QuoteHoping Navigator/Harlequin 8 is 64 bit capable.

It is not if it is running under Windows XP 32-bit. Now there was was a 64-bit version of XP but it was few and far between and a great shortage of 64-bit drivers for all kinds of hardware. I'd bet your Win XP is 32-bit.

Now again, if you changed some kind of memory setting somewhere (bios?) and it won't boot after you did that you need to go back and change that setting back to what it was previously.
I didn't change any Bios setting, just a setting in Navigator. When I run Belarc Advisor, it shows the NT as being 64bit ready. Now whether that means 64bit  I dunno. The box was set up by the company that sold us the software and platesetter.

Joe

So how did you run Belarc Advisor if it won't boot? Or you ran that before it would no longer boot?

NT? As in Windows NT? I asked because you said you were running Windows XP. Not Windows NT.

Whatever...the computer might be 64-bit capable but unless you have a 64-bit OS it can't take advantage of the 64-bit architecture of the hardware.

Judging by the error you see:

"Warning: Memory available for rip exceeds the 2047 MB process address space limit. Not all available ram can be used. Memory available for a rip reduced to fit."

It sounds like the RIP can only use 2 GB of RAM and the setting you changed exceeds that 2 GB. Try booting Windows into safe mode and see if you can change the setting back to its original setting.

rickself

Hey Joe - thanks for putting up with my panic when guys were waiting to get plates going and I couldn't get the RIP to come up. I think I was typing faster than thinking. I was thinking XP not NT. NT Server 5.1 is what it is.
The NT was booting okay, but not Navigator. My mistake, sorry.
Tell a Mac guy to talk PC and it doesn't come out right.

Joe

Quote from: rickself on July 13, 2018, 12:29:44 PMHey Joe - thanks for putting up with my panic when guys were waiting to get plates going and I couldn't get the RIP to come up. I think I was typing faster than thinking. I was thinking XP not NT. NT Server 5.1 is what it is.
The NT was booting okay, but not Navigator. My mistake, sorry.
Tell a Mac guy to talk PC and it doesn't come out right.

There is no such version of NT.

[attach width=400]18816[/attach]

You sure it isn't NT 3.51? That was released in 1995. I don't think there is is anyway that would be 64-bit capable.

QuoteNT was the first purely 32-bit version of Windows, whereas its consumer-oriented counterparts, Windows 3.1x and Windows 9x, were 16-bit/32-bit hybrids.

My guess is that you made the setting change via the GUI and now you can't get back to it since it won't start. There might be a configuration file somewhere that you can change it back there but that is past my scope because I have forgotten everything I ever knew about NT and never used Navigator. Sorry. Maybe someone else knows more about Navigator.

rickself

This is starting to feel more and more like a day I should have stayed home. Friday the 13th...my wife's birthday.

The PC is and has been bootable. It's just Navigator/Harlequin that had boot issues.
Okay, here is a cut and paste from Belarc Advisor:
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600) (for my own good to see it on the screen).
I have no idea in hades where NT came from.
Anyhoo - everything is up and running just perfecto. Everything but my head!

Is it Miller time yet?

Joe

Well Happy Birthday to your wife. It is also my sisters birthday!