Suggestions for a new Mac

Started by Bakerman, March 18, 2015, 01:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on January 21, 2016, 07:10:00 AMI wouldn't rush to call them. They will just tell you it's a feature, not a bug.

And that it will help you. Adobe knows best. :strangle:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Slappy

Quote from: Tracy on January 20, 2016, 12:29:38 PMprolly getting El Capitan with Retina Display?

I need someone to go thru the Retina Display and Acro DC problem with!!!
Yeah, that's one of the things I'm really NOT thrilled about either - new Acrobat acrobatics.  :shoots_self:

Guess we'll have to update our Pitstop license to the new subscription model too huh?
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

It is optional in Pitstop. Monthly, yearly, or the old 'just buy the license for each version as you go'.

Tracy

I'm not using DC, I'm using acro 10 (CS6) with pitstop 13
I think you can use 12 with it too.

I can't deal with DC's output preview with the Retina, Hope it gets fixed quick
I do know it is adobe's issue tho.

Tracy

I just noticed that Mac Apple replaced has that Fusion Drive

Farabomb

Umm, what?

Drinking a little early today Tracy?
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Tracy

what? :laugh:
One of my new macs has that fusion drive.

Tracy

I guess I am a bit crazy :laugh:
unruly custy's today

Farabomb

It just read a little wonky but I actually understood.

Read enough of Frailer's posts and you can translate most things.  ;D

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

StudioMonkey

I read that a bit funny too - Fusion Drive kinda sounds like it runs off a Flux Capacitor

Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Tracy

:laugh:  I must redeem myself, not sure if it's really any benefit but this is what it is:

Fusion Drive is Apple Inc.'s name for its implementation of a hybrid drive. Apple's implementation combines a hard disk drive with a NAND flash storage (solid-state drive of 24 GB or more) and presents it as a single Core Storage managed logical volume with the space of both drives combined.[1]

The operating system automatically manages the contents of the drive so the most frequently accessed files, applications, documents, photos and other data are stored on the faster flash storage, while infrequently used items move to or stay on the hard drive.[2] For example, if spreadsheet software is used often, the software will be moved to the flash storage for faster user access. In software, this logical volume speeds up performance of the computer by performing both caching for faster writes and auto tiering for faster reads.

wonderings

Quote from: Tracy on January 26, 2016, 12:03:29 PM:laugh:  I must redeem myself, not sure if it's really any benefit but this is what it is:

Fusion Drive is Apple Inc.'s name for its implementation of a hybrid drive. Apple's implementation combines a hard disk drive with a NAND flash storage (solid-state drive of 24 GB or more) and presents it as a single Core Storage managed logical volume with the space of both drives combined.[1]

The operating system automatically manages the contents of the drive so the most frequently accessed files, applications, documents, photos and other data are stored on the faster flash storage, while infrequently used items move to or stay on the hard drive.[2] For example, if spreadsheet software is used often, the software will be moved to the flash storage for faster user access. In software, this logical volume speeds up performance of the computer by performing both caching for faster writes and auto tiering for faster reads.

hybrid drives have been around for a while. I had a hybrid drive in an old macbook pro, I think it was a Core 2 Duo Macbook pro. They definitely were faster then a traditional hard drive. If you can afford it though, go for an SSD or flash drive. Amazingly fast, makes any computer using a traditional hard drive feel ancient and antiquated, even if it faster spec wise.

Farabomb

Also important in portable devices is that a SSD doesn't have to spin physical platters so it consumes less power. The fusion drive was really a bandaid solution until SSD devices came down in price.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

I saw an ad the other day for a 1 TB SSD for $347. That has dropped dramatically in the last year but it is still a little steep for a prepress salary.