Mac Mini-Intel
1 (10%)
iMac 27" i5
1 (10%)
Mac Studio-Base Model
3 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Slappy

We've hit the critical threshold for needing new hardware, due to the state of Software requirements, and I've got to present prices to the Higher Ups, like this week.

Since Apple has (for now) scrapped the 27" iMacs and all that's new are 24" models, I'm leaning towards Minis with decent 3rd party monitors. Kinda spoiled by the 27's 4k screens, even though ours are 5 years old now.

In the Mini camp, I guess I'd go Intel, 3.2GHz i7 & 16GB RAM. I dislike that the GPU offerings are basically no choice. The 10GB Ethernet is interesting, we have fiber connection being installed now but realistically, probably overkill. Roughly $1699 from Apple as spec'd.

Oddly enough, Costco locally had some 27" iMacs the other week: 3.1GHz i5, 8GB RAM and only 256GB storage. $1749 if they're still available. Little underpowered for my liking.

Darkhorse might be the Mac Studio, as Costco sells the base configuration for $1849.
M1 Max chip 10-core CPU, 24-core GPU, 32GB of unified memory.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

I pick none of the above until I see what Apple announces June 6 at their Worldwide Developers Conference. Some think they might announce a 27" iMac with the M1 chip. I'm skeptical though as that would draw people away from their Mac Studio hardware. If they don't release an M1 27" iMac I would just go with the 24" M1 iMac for prepress work. Plenty of horsepower with just a slightly smaller screen than the 27".

But the M1 Mac would depend...are you using software that isn't available for the M1? Might be a deal killer. Does Pitstop have software for the M1 iMac? I don't know.

I personally would avoid buying anymore Intel based Apple products if at all possible. Dead end sooner than you might think.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

If you go with an Intel 27" iMac do yourself a favor and don't buy one with an i5 cpu. Minimum I would go is an i7. Would prefer an i9. 32 gb RAM minimum. 512 gb SSD minimum.

Skryber

A year and a half ago I got a 27" iMac with an i7. I had no options. M1 hadn't come out yet. And i9s weren't available. Every time I ordered one, it got canceled. I kept making purchases until one stuck. I'm very happy with it. Upgraded to 72GB memory and added a second monitor. Only thing I didn't want was a hybrid HD but I do have one at work and it works fine. For home I have 2 externals I use for backup and art storage. No issues with Adobe apps.

It's this one...

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-27-imac-with-retina-5k-display-latest-model-intel-core-i7-3-8ghz-8gb-memory-512gb-ssd-silver/6200723.p?skuId=6200723
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

bornrd

Shame this whole industry HAS to get mac.

Looking at a PC for my private endeavours right now, and for 3.5k you can get the best i9, 64 gig 3200 mhz ram, gih-tier geforce 3080 with 16gb of vram, water cooling....

OR you could get a quadro, or a radeon, or a ryzen, like, whatever you want.

But since the M1 is out at least the things are at decent speed
macOS Catalina 10.15.7/Windows 10 - Adobe CC - Fuji XMF 6.13 - Luxel T9000 CTP E - KBA Rapida 105 universal - Heidelberg GTO - Heidelberg Windmill - Heidelberg Cylinder - Heidelberg Speedmaster 52 - Schelter & Giesecke PHOENIX A - Rockstroh VICTORIA - Lenpoligrafmash NEOTYPE N-7F - Konica Minolta C3080 - HP DesignJet ZP6810 - Epson Stylus Pro 4900 - Heidelberg Stahlfolder - Müller-Martini APOLLO - Müller-Martini PRESTO II - PERFECTA Cutting System

I have no idea what the f*ck I'm doing in prepress but here we are

www.ruegen-druck.de | @ruegendruck

––––––––––––––––––––––
They will chop you down just to count your rings

Tracy

I have 27" i7 & a 27" i5

huge difference

RMPrepress

Over the past year or so i replaced 4 x 2012 Mac Pro's with the 2018 Mac Mini.
All bought used on ebay or from OWC for anywhere from $850.00 to $1,100.
All 4 of them are the fully loaded version i7 6-Core, 3.2GHZ w/turbo boost up to 4.6GHZ, and 64GB RAM.
They are more than capable for daily prepress work.
We use 27" NEC and BenQ monitors.

We also have 2 x 2012 Mac Pro's running Big Sur via OpenCore...no issues just a little extra work getting it installed.
Save a lot of money and keep the beloved 2012 MP going!!
Manager/Default IT Guy - 2022 Mac Studio, Apple M1 Max, 64 GB - Ventura 13.6
Kodak Prinergy 10.0, Kodak Insite 10.0 and Kodak Proofing System 10.1
Epson SureColor P9000 w/XRite Spectroproofer - G7 Master Printer
Heidelberg Prinect 2022 + Suprasetter 106 CTP

DigiCorn

For my cybersecurity class, the M1 was not recommended because under extreme duress it overheats and shuts down when taxing the CPU. I had an M1 PowerBook Pro, but I was told unless I had an additional cooling unit to not use it. I ended up getting a refurbished Dell Latitude i5 for class. I would go with the Mac Studio M1 - it doesn't have the issues the PowerBook Pro has.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

bornrd

Quote from: Tracy on May 31, 2022, 11:12:19 AMI have 27" i7 & a 27" i5

huge difference
Quote from: RMPrepress on May 31, 2022, 11:25:10 AMOver the past year or so i replaced 4 x 2012 Mac Pro's with the 2018 Mac Mini.
All bought used on ebay or from OWC for anywhere from $850.00 to $1,100.
All 4 of them are the fully loaded version i7 6-Core, 3.2GHZ w/turbo boost up to 4.6GHZ, and 64GB RAM.
They are more than capable for daily prepress work.
We use 27" NEC and BenQ monitors.

We also have 2 x 2012 Mac Pro's running Big Sur via OpenCore...no issues just a little extra work getting it installed.
Save a lot of money and keep the beloved 2012 MP going!!

for prepress, of course it is enough. we run all the rips on a dedicated xmf server.

But I'm also a designer – complex illustrations, big dtp layouts, large images, all of that takes significantly more time while I'm waiting for the beachball.

Not to even mention 3D.
It does go a little faster/takes a little less time on the newer i7s tho.

Still nowhere near the "bang for the buck" as with pcs.

Quote from: DigiCorn on May 31, 2022, 11:22:13 PMFor my cybersecurity class, the M1 was not recommended because under extreme duress it overheats and shuts down when taxing the CPU. I had an M1 PowerBook Pro, but I was told unless I had an additional cooling unit to not use it. I ended up getting a refurbished Dell Latitude i5 for class. I would go with the Mac Studio M1 - it doesn't have the issues the PowerBook Pro has.
That has got to be the most interesting Cybersecurity class ever!

macOS Catalina 10.15.7/Windows 10 - Adobe CC - Fuji XMF 6.13 - Luxel T9000 CTP E - KBA Rapida 105 universal - Heidelberg GTO - Heidelberg Windmill - Heidelberg Cylinder - Heidelberg Speedmaster 52 - Schelter & Giesecke PHOENIX A - Rockstroh VICTORIA - Lenpoligrafmash NEOTYPE N-7F - Konica Minolta C3080 - HP DesignJet ZP6810 - Epson Stylus Pro 4900 - Heidelberg Stahlfolder - Müller-Martini APOLLO - Müller-Martini PRESTO II - PERFECTA Cutting System

––––––––––––––––––––––

bornrd

Quote from: RMPrepress on May 31, 2022, 11:25:10 AMWe use 27" NEC and BenQ monitors.

About that... could you tell me some more about which models they are, how much sRGB(or more) they cover, and their refresh rate?

Would be greatly appreciated

––––––––––––––––––––––

Joe

Quote from: bornrd on May 30, 2022, 11:46:21 PMShame this whole industry HAS to get mac.

Looking at a PC for my private endeavours right now, and for 3.5k you can get the best i9, 64 gig 3200 mhz ram, gih-tier geforce 3080 with 16gb of vram, water cooling....

You will still need a monitor, keyboard and mouse in addition to that price. For that kind of money you can get a:

Mac Studio ($1999):

Apple M1 Max with 10-core CPU, 24-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine
32GB unified memory
512GB SSD storage
Front: Two USB-C ports, one SDXC card slot
Back: Four Thunderbolt 4 ports, two USB-A ports, one HDMI port, one 10Gb Ethernet port, one 3.5 mm headphone jack

and a Studio Display ($1599)

TOTAL: $3598.00

madbugger

Quote from: Joe on June 01, 2022, 06:10:07 AMYou will still need a monitor, keyboard and mouse in addition to that price. For that kind of money you can get a:

Mac Studio ($1999):

32GB unified memory
512GB SSD storage
Back: Four Thunderbolt 4 ports, two USB-A ports, one HDMI port, one 10Gb Ethernet port, one 3.5 mm headphone jack

and a Studio Display ($1599)

Bit of left field thinking, is this possible?

We have old 3 x 27" late 2012 3.4 Ghz Intel i7 32GB ram machines. Is it possible to hook a Mac Studio to them and just use the old Mac as a monitor?

I'm guessing not but worth asking the question.

Edit: Should have done a google search first.  Yes you can but it is suggested as a short term solution and not something you would do as a permanent setup.

Link to the article I read if you wish to see the process and the reasons not too.

https://www.lifewire.com/use-imac-as-monitor-with-target-display-mode-2260906
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.
— Madbugger

Some people say you gotta die some day, I got news, you never gotta go
— Ted Nugent

Joe

You have to use target display mode to do it. And it has to be another mac to do it. And it can't be a 2014 model or newer.

DigiCorn

Or you could get one of these:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php

But then you'd have to evolve a fish that breathes mineral oil to put in there.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

bornrd

Quote from: Joe on June 01, 2022, 06:10:07 AM
Quote from: bornrd on May 30, 2022, 11:46:21 PMShame this whole industry HAS to get mac.

You will still need a monitor, keyboard and mouse in addition to that price. For that kind of money you can get a:

Mac Studio ($1999):

32GB unified memory
512GB SSD storage

and a Studio Display ($1599)

Well, that actually seems kinda fair.

Should be fine for most Graphic Design work

––––––––––––––––––––––