News:

Main Menu

mirroring guides

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, October 12, 2022, 08:35:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspdfppdfxhd

I wonder if anyone has ever managed to mirror guides in InDesign. For example, you've laid out a complex pocket folder or something like that.... you do the front one on board then want to "mirror" those guides to work on the back. Professor Google does not seem to know.

born2print

Now that would be a nice upgrade. I do not think you can do that. The closest is to put guides on master page so they appear on all pages but that is not what we're after...
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

born2print

I suppose you can make "guides" that are actually lines, on a locked layer, group it dupe it and flop it.
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

pspdfppdfxhd

I do that, not for guides but for whole jobs to backup. We don't have much in the way of imposition software here. You duplicate the front layout then flip the whole thing then relink the back pages of the pdfs and then flip the content of them. Kooky, but it's a lot easier than doing it manually. If you don't understand what I am saying, I totally understand! ;D

pspdfppdfxhd

I bet someone in this big wide world has made a script for doing this. Could be wrong though.

Joe

You can kind of do it. Create a 2 page non-facing document where page 1 is the front and page 2 is the back. On your master page create the guides for the front. They will show up on both pages. Now select page 2 in your pages pallet. Right click page 2 and go to Page Attributes ===> Rotate Spread View ===> 180°. It will flip your guides on page 2 to mirror them with page one. That is all I tried and didn't take it any further by adding content to the pages to make sure it all comes out right but hey...the guides are mirrored on page 2.

Screen Shot 2022-10-12 at 10.44.19 AM.png
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

pspdfppdfxhd

Hmmm, wow. Must try this out when they stop harassing me here. You are free to take the afternoon nap today then Joe.
:D

Joe

Thanks I am already getting a bit sleepy. :sleepy:

madbugger

won't the pdf that you make automatically flip back it's 180°?

I think we use this method on a job we produce monthly that has the backup upside down and that's what happens.

If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.
— Madbugger

Some people say you gotta die some day, I got news, you never gotta go
— Ted Nugent

Joe

No idea. I quit when I got the guides mirrored. I'm retired so didn't have ambition to finish testing. ;D

Joe

Quote from: madbugger on October 12, 2022, 12:55:30 PMwon't the pdf that you make automatically flip back it's 180°?

I think we use this method on a job we produce monthly that has the backup upside down and that's what happens.

If it does when placing the content maybe you could just rotate it 180 degrees and then it would be right side up when it reverts back 180 degrees.

Needs more testing.

pabney

I have a script for that. I can send it tomorrow when I get back to the office.

pspdfppdfxhd

See? God bless the scripters! Hope it works, can't wait to give it a go!

Joe

Quote from: madbugger on October 12, 2022, 12:55:30 PMwon't the pdf that you make automatically flip back it's 180°?

Yes it appears that p2 is correct except it is rotated 180° at output. You would need to manually rotate the page 2 PDF 180°.

Or use the script above when it is posted. ;D

pspdfppdfxhd

Looking forward to trying the script, but the rotation solution sounds promising as well.