Pantone Book Warning

Started by Tracy, October 24, 2022, 01:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy

yeah, can't see how I can work without spot colors, they will have to purchase it

whamboozeled

Quote from: Tracy on October 24, 2022, 01:21:16 PMI did copy the Pantone books back when Joe warned us.

How do you do this?

Tracy

Here are the screen shots I got from somewhere  ;D
let me know if you have any issues, haven't look at these in awhile

sorry it's low res, I will look over what I got maybe I can clean this up tomorrow

born2print

My Illy 2023 and InDD 2023 still have 'em... so far
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

madbugger

Dropbox Link to my copies of Indesign, Illustrator and Photoshop Pantone Libraries and some screen grabs of where they reside plus screen grabs of an article about the changes.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f5229zq0w777r62/AACWR8jbZWDcUITi953ai3RKa?dl=0

Pantone Color books.png
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.
— Madbugger

Some people say you gotta die some day, I got news, you never gotta go
— Ted Nugent

Joe

Quote from: born2print on October 26, 2022, 02:27:39 PMMy Illy 2023 and InDD 2023 still have 'em... so far

They will be there until sometime in November 2022. After that the only Pantone Libraries that will still be there are:

• Pantone + CMYK Coated
  • Pantone + CMYK Uncoated
  • Pantone + Metallic Coated

Those will remain after the purge.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

whamboozeled

Possum

Guess they don't want to pay for the rights to link the rest. That would cut into their profits. We can't have that, now, can we? :sarcasm:
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Joe

Quote from: Possum on October 27, 2022, 12:46:26 PMGuess they don't want to pay for the rights to link the rest. That would cut into their profits. We can't have that, now, can we? :sarcasm:
I think it is more that Pantone wants to get into the subscription model ripoff than anything else. Everyone wants a piece of the action.

scottrsimons

Just saw this article this morning. Looks like we all are in for a big hurt. Pantone hikes Connect pricing. So backup your current libraries now.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

Tracy

last time I posted about the price it was $50, it's up to $90 now

Joe

$90 is if you are buying it as an individual for a full year. You can get it for $90 per month per user for a business TEAM plan but you have to have at least 5 users which would be $450 per month for 5 users. A single user business plan will run you $150 per month.

Tracy

Holy cow! business' will only be able to afford 1, people will have to share the spot color computer  ;D

scottrsimons

I have a feeling we might have to go back to the days when we would make a "special" color in the design software and then tell the customer to look at a pantone book to see what that color really is. And we would print it to match the pantone book. So the color proof and digital would not be an accurate representation of the pantone color.

From now on we should all reference adobe and pantone with lower case. Neither company is deserving of our respect for what they are doing to the industry right now. adobe with all the stupid updates to add show characters into their start screens and all the other bloatware in the software. And pantone not playing nice with adobe, but that could be a lot on adobe right now too.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

Tracy

or we will rely on pitstop to change the color, another step to fix files