Footnotes in Indesign - number baseline shift issue

Started by wonderings, August 20, 2021, 09:08:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wonderings

Not sure if my terminology is correct in the title, I do not do a lot of book setups.

I have 2 gifs showing what I am doing and was working till I got to #5. Why would this work for 1, 2, 3, 4 but not 5 and up?

this is what I want to continue doing
https://gyazo.com/77711cdc0351220ca43a96749ef5f565

This is what it does 5 and up
https://gyazo.com/f9aa1c2405eeb092a0dca7db2be17610

DigiCorn

Just curious... it could be a font thing, but try this just to troubleshoot: instead of making the 5 the first item on the line, make it 2nd or 3rd, and see if it still does it. Also try this: On #4, after it is already changed to a superscript, see if you can change the 4 to a 5. And lastly, highlight the 5, right-click and then see if you can change it that way.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

wonderings

It does seem to be a limitation with the font. I switched to another variable font and that one had even more options than what you see in the "4" gif. Everything else you suggested does not work and I had tried before. I have not used variable fonts often, I am going to explore the settings for the font and see if there is an answer there. Thanks!

**edit** I feel like a moron now, completely forgot about this little button. Does what I need, though the other way is simpler.

Skryber

"Insert Footnote" feature works great. You can use paragraph styles to change the look of them and the footnotes will automatically appear on the page the number its on. Also it automatically numbers them in order.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Skryber

Are you only looking to use superscript? Not a footnote or endnote? If you are inserting footnotes, you are making it hard on yourself.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff