Xitron Systems or Apogee X

Started by jimking, March 26, 2008, 07:26:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimking

Who's up to speed with Xitron Systems? How do you like it? How's the support? Are you able to use imposed, trapped, 1 bit tifs to plate and make proofs from this single file? Is there anyone who has experience with ApogeeX and Xitron and if so what's your opinion of Xitron compared to ApogeeX. I've never worked with Xitron but have worked with X.

Ear

Hi Jim. I've never worked with Apogee but I like my Xitron Extreme. It's a combination of ROOM and NORM depending on how you configure it. My usual workflow is;

Input PDF (hot folders)

Xitron runs Enfocus precheck, Normalize, Produces Preflight Report.

I check inks, check report, modify job ticket to add or remove proofing stages, trapping, etc...

Release job where it RIPs the file(s) to Placement and Sideline files. Placement are 36dpi for speed in Preps which get replaced by the sideline (hi res) once printed back to the workflow from Preps.

Once the files are combined, I am left with 1bit tiffs to send to the platesetter queue. My spinjet proofer will descreen and make it's own composite CMYK proof which is very content accurate because it is descreened and re-res'd versions of the 1bit plate tiffs but it is an extra step and takes a little time.

You can mess with the trap and it has advanced trapping modes, mitered joints, sliding trap for CTs, etc but the interface is not as nice as messing with trap in Prinergy.

It's very fast and very stable, I run a lot of plates and have very few problems. Example; 40pg 15" tab, color throughout takes a half hour from the time I dump the PDF into the hot folder to the time the platesetter loads it's first plate, including Preps, sans proofing. If I was doing Epsons, I would add another 15 minutes. The only thing I'm not too pleased with is when I have to do a spinjet on pages rotated 90 degrees, like a tabloid, then it takes more time but doesn't slow the other processes in the rip. Regular signature work with 0 or 180 rotation fly through the descreen process.

I like the support and the guy who did the installation is top notch.

Anything else?
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

jimking

I'm hearing good things about Xitron Systems. I talked to a representative today Murial Bremer to set up a web meeting with Paul Napolitano to give me a demo this Friday. I'm looking forward to it.
I also like what you get for the price. To me however, price takes a back seat when choosing a workflow. It needs to be reliable, stable, fast and intuitive. I've worked with Apogee for years and have been happy with it but we may change if Xitron performs like I've heard. Thanks Earendil

jimking

Just finished with the webex demostration. Saw the demo of the latest version and was impressed.

EyeTech

We're looking At ApogeeX v4 (we're on 2.5 at present), running plates to a Palladio 30.

It makes the AGFA package seem well overpriced. And unless you go for the full workflow version you don't get many of the standard features of the Xitron offering.

I just took a look at the Xitron website and the product looks good. Don't whether it will drive our CTP tho' since it's not on their engine list.
'I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out'" Bill Hicks

Self-indulgent Flickr page

jimking

Quote from: EyeTech on March 29, 2008, 05:20:02 AMWe're looking At ApogeeX v4 (we're on 2.5 at present), running plates to a Palladio 30.

It makes the AGFA package seem well overpriced. And unless you go for the full workflow version you don't get many of the standard features of the Xitron offering.

I just took a look at the Xitron website and the product looks good. Don't whether it will drive our CTP tho' since it's not on their engine list.
ApogeeX would be my preference but the price is much higher. What I was told is Xitron is opened ended and there is no CTP out there that it can not drive. The interface looks appealing and it is similar to Apogee's visual workflow. It does have a built in impo program that seems to be stable and intuitive. Preps is what I'm used to, so there is some hesitation there on my part. It also has the ability to generate (for free) 3D softproofs for the client.

jimking

EyeTech

Yes I found that article too - been speaking with AGFA as well as Vanguard but no firm decision yet. It may all hinge on whether AGFA would be willing to add some features as an incentive.
'I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out'" Bill Hicks

Self-indulgent Flickr page

hagar_uk

Quote from: jimking on March 26, 2008, 07:26:03 AMWho's up to speed with Xitron Systems? How do you like it? How's the support? Are you able to use imposed, trapped, 1 bit tifs to plate and make proofs from this single file? Is there anyone who has experience with ApogeeX and Xitron and if so what's your opinion of Xitron compared to ApogeeX. I've never worked with Xitron but have worked with X.

Which system did you go for, in the end?

jimking

Quote from: hagar_uk on April 09, 2008, 03:57:33 PM
Quote from: jimking on March 26, 2008, 07:26:03 AMWho's up to speed with Xitron Systems? How do you like it? How's the support? Are you able to use imposed, trapped, 1 bit tifs to plate and make proofs from this single file? Is there anyone who has experience with ApogeeX and Xitron and if so what's your opinion of Xitron compared to ApogeeX. I've never worked with Xitron but have worked with X.

Which system did you go for, in the end?

The system we are looking at is the Xitron Sierra 8 version. It seems to me that Agfa bought Xitron in 2001 in order to rewrite the old Apogee workflow to produce ApogeeX. The old Apogee and ApogeeX are completely different. If this is the case and Xitron Sierra 8 is in-fact as similar and stable as X is, I'm surprised Xitron doesn't have more market share. The price difference of the 2 workflows is $15,000 and I believe there is no PrintDrive involved which is costly. Xitron is an American company that seems eager to please its customers and doesn't carry the doom and gloom rumors Agfa does. Also, the upgrades are affordable not in the 5 digit range like Agfa's workflows. I'm eager to test drive the flow.