Best option for placed images into Illy - PSD, tiff, eps?

Started by rickself, June 08, 2011, 08:19:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickself

I have a client who has dropped BIG PSD files into Illy and then embedded them. Working on Vista is bad enough but these files take forever to manipulate. When I attempt to relink the file and un-embed, Illy tells me the file is the wrong type. So what is the BEST way to go when placing into CS4 Illustrator - tiff?
Any help out there?
Rick
Rick Self, Prepress Oldie
Mac Mini M1   G5 Quad-Core Intel Sierra  HP DesignJet Z6 44in   RICOH Pro C5200S
Fiery BCE5  Xitron Navigator v.13   Screen 8000II   Azura Plates   Komori L640

DigiCorn

How are you exporting the file for RIP? I'd probably save the Illy as an .ai or .eps and drop into ID and then marry the .psd on top (assuming it's a .psd because of layering/transparency?).

.tif and .eps from PS are always safe.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

rickself

I am definitely saving the file as an AI and placing into Indy for the layout and pdf to rip. But the illy artwork has an image in the background that is hogging the memory. I have tried tif and got the same message that the file was the wrong type. So I saved to eps and Illy accepted the file. Am I losing any resolution  by simply resaving her layered psd as a flattened tif? Do the placed images into Illy NEED to be embedded to place into Indy for creating the pdf to rip? I had 20 years in prepress before moving into job planning the last 4 years and some things have changed in 4 years!
Mac Mini M1   G5 Quad-Core Intel Sierra  HP DesignJet Z6 44in   RICOH Pro C5200S

Chilbear

Why not delete the offending pic from Illy and then place the Illy (sans photo) and the picture into INDD on different layers?

DCurry

Quote from: rickself on June 08, 2011, 08:42:49 AMAm I losing any resolution  by simply resaving her layered psd as a flattened tif?

No.

Quote from: rickself on June 08, 2011, 08:42:49 AMDo the placed images into Illy NEED to be embedded to place into Indy for creating the pdf to rip?

No - if you save as AI file and choose PDF-compatible you should be fine to place in ID. If you choose to save the Illy file as EPS, then you will want to click on the Include Images box in the save options dialog (it's been a while - my terminology may be slightly off but the idea is the same).

I disagree with DigiSig's assertion that EPS from Photoshop is always safe. They're fine if you know exactly what you are doing, but I've seen plenty of problems with Photoshop EPS. Not a lot of reason to use them anymore, unless you are using antiquated layout software that won't recognize clipping paths in TIFFs or PSDs or duotones in PSDs. If you are using relatively modern Adobe apps, then TIFF or PSD will be safer and easier (fewer options during the save dialog to worry about setting correctly).
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

gnubler

Quote from: DCurry on June 08, 2011, 09:10:19 AMNot a lot of reason to use them anymore, unless you are using antiquated layout software that won't recognize clipping paths in TIFFs or PSDs or duotones in PSDs. If you are using relatively modern Adobe apps, then TIFF or PSD will be safer and easier (fewer options during the save dialog to worry about setting correctly).

Just yesterday I had to save a multi-channel Photoshop file as EPS because when I tried to place the PSD into Indy CS4 it said "no".
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

rickself

Thanks, guys.
So I've saved the files as flattened EPS, (illy would not take a tif). There are 2 each of 4 different images on the layout. Hopefully the manipulation will be easier with linked files rather than embedded - a safe and hopeful assumption. I COULD place the images in ID but I don't want to mess with the client files any more than I have to.

andyfest

.psd files seem to work best for us these days. Use PhotoShop CS4; keep any empty CMYK channels (don't delete) + any spot channels; mode should be set for CMYK - not multichannel. Using these presets we have had no issues with supplied psd's.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro