Distorting art that has a clipping path

Started by CMYKFrustrated, September 19, 2012, 12:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

DigitalCrapShoveler

I'm still not really understanding what it is you're trying to do.
Member #285 - Civilian

born2print

How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

DigitalCrapShoveler

Yeah, well... I have no clue what's SHE is trying to do at this point. And, unfortunately for her, I am one of the few people on here that might be able to help. I thought I had her problem down, but the more and more posting that gets done, I am now completely clueless. If she could post some kind of example so I can see what the problem is, I might have a solution. It's too hard for me to try to sort through words that more times than not, confuse the issue. That's why I always ask for the file, or a screenshot. Sorry, that's how I roll.
Member #285 - Civilian

t-pat

I also think it's because you're already warped. Nothing to do with too many words.  :dev2:
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

DigitalCrapShoveler

I'm a Prepress guy, who but a warped individual would continue in this career?
Member #285 - Civilian

CMYKFrustrated

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on September 21, 2012, 01:05:57 PMNot in Illustrator.
Okay then a plug in. If the "align" tool can have the underlying mechanics to use the clipping path, then the arc or warp envelope should be able to have code written that would follow the same logic.

CMYKFrustrated

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on September 21, 2012, 01:14:17 PMI'm still not really understanding what it is you're trying to do.
You have been sent in an Illustrator file, with placed photos and vector graphics that has a clipping path on top of it in a rectangular shape. You need to warp this to wrap around a cup. The placed photos and vectors are not symmetrical to the clipping path. You find that simply "selecting all" and warping or arcing will mean that the entire wireframe will be used to calculate the warp...not just what you need inside the clipping path. Ergo, you get a reeeeaaaaalllly distorted piece of digital crap to shovel instead of a nicely warped graphic. Comprende?

Surely will all the printed cups in the world....someone out there has a solution. Whether that's a designer, or a prepress guru.

CMYKFrustrated

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on September 21, 2012, 02:16:49 PMI'm a Prepress guy, who but a warped individual would continue in this career?
A question I have asked in the mirror countless times.....

CMYKFrustrated

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on September 21, 2012, 01:51:10 PM......If she could post some kind of example so I can see what the problem is, I might have a solution. It's too hard for me to try to sort through words that more times than not, confuse the issue.

Just create a bunch of slightly overlapping shapes in Illustrator. Place a rectangular box on top of all with no fill, no stroke. Make sure it's off center. Now...warp that and you'll get what I'm experiencing. (You can use arc...you can use envelope mesh.....)

If the rectangle was set up in ratio to the flattened shape of the cup, the art needs to warp symmetrically to wrap around the cup. Illustrator won't do it symmetrically because it selects everything, even the stuff that is not visible but exists under the clipping path.

Tracy

Is there a way to make it symmetrical?
my 2 cents :laugh:

DigitalCrapShoveler

What if you were to say cut the contents of the mask, then use the mask as the center of a compound path after drawing a larger rectangle around it. Then copying it and using it to punch the art underneath and extending beyond the original clipping mask. Each time pasting the new compound mask in front and punching each shape. After all the art is trimmed, releasing the new compound path and reclipping to the original mask? Follow me?
Member #285 - Civilian

DigitalCrapShoveler

Okay, I think I get what you're explaining. Just draw a larger box that encompasses all the art, make sure the art is centered in that box, then group it an then apply the warp.

Like this...

1. Original art

2. Original art with Warp Effect

3. New Box with art centered (Mine is not exact, but you get the idea)

4. New Box with art grouped Warped

Is this what you are asking?
Member #285 - Civilian

DigitalCrapShoveler

Furthermore, here is the exact same process as above, but with my previous solution where you are using the original clipping mask as a compound path to delete the extraneous art hidden by the mask.
Member #285 - Civilian

CMYKFrustrated

Quote from: Tracy on September 21, 2012, 05:18:54 PMIs there a way to make it symmetrical?
my 2 cents :laugh:
Yes, that's the workaround now. But we're talking a complex piece of art with placed photos and vectors that aren't easy to accurately crop back to the bleed. Meanwhile the warp really has to be calculated from the TRIM.....not the bleed.