Some news you don't see much of these days

Started by Joe, December 04, 2013, 03:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

Cool, I need something to start my fires in the fireplace.

I have 3 local papers that I don't pay for that are weekly and I read them. The internet is great for some things but up in the sticks you need to read those things to find neat things to do.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

gnubler

Wow. I support the effort, but Newsweek? Didn't they get the memo that people get news online instantly and one week later it's no longer relevant?

The only magazine I subscribe to is Mother Earth because their articles are timeless and useful forever. Their website sucks, though. I signed up for email alerts and got bombarded with so much spam I unsubscribed from the digital side of it. They were worse than CycleGear.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Slappy

Quote from: gnubler on December 04, 2013, 09:20:39 PMWow. I support the effort, but Newsweek? Didn't they get the memo that people get news online instantly and one week later it's no longer relevant?
I dunno, it's my favorite thing to read – at the dentist's office, or the doctor's. Those are the only places it exists, right?
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

gnubler

That, or my dad's coffee table in 1986. And I used to read all those magazines during the 80s (Time, etc)
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

gnubler

Quote from: Farabomb on December 04, 2013, 03:32:39 PMI have 3 local papers that I don't pay for that are weekly and I read them. The internet is great for some things but up in the sticks you need to read those things to find neat things to do.

We have them here also. One of them is a blatant jab at the usual weekly paper (hipster liberal crap, but valuable restaurant reviews), the kind that has the "fashion diva" column telling you where to find an awesome pair of jeans for only $189 at some boutique in Santa Fe. That's the paper I pick up to support the printers, but put right into a box to use for firestarting.

Joe

Here is a local newspaper that we print here. They tell it like it is. :laugh:

http://www.disclosurenewsonline.com/

gnubler

Ummm...all I saw was breaking news about missing women and stuff. This is news?

Joe

You would have to actually read some of the articles to see what I mean. The editor is a real piece of work. And hates politicians and anyone of authority. I like him.

Farabomb

I also get a monthly hippie mag that I swear smells like patchouli for free. It's actually pretty decent and one of the writers for Weird NJ has a column in it. I also love some of the lengths people go to be "green" and how insane they can be.

I remember last year a for/against article about fireplaces.... in the fucking woods. Someone was complaining about the smoke... in the woods. If your hypersensitive ass can't deal with a little smoke from a fireplace, go back to the city. I'm sure the bus exhaust is fine for you.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

One newspaper has a decent idea, but poorly executed. They have a pop-up requiring a subscription to read content online. If you click the "X," it takes you to an online subscription form... but if you scroll slowly, you can read around the popup for free. What they should do is just give you a "Teaser," of content, and then eliminate the rest until you pay.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

andyfest

Quote from: Joe on December 04, 2013, 10:22:59 PMHere is a local newspaper that we print here. They tell it like it is. :laugh:

I dig the "Wine Liquor Beer" ad!
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Joe

Quote from: andyfest on December 05, 2013, 12:51:18 PM
Quote from: Joe on December 04, 2013, 10:22:59 PMHere is a local newspaper that we print here. They tell it like it is. :laugh:

I dig the "Wine Liquor Beer" ad!

Drinking is pretty popular around here. :drunk3:

gnubler

Where is it not? Other than Utah and maybe Lancaster, Pennsylvania.

Farabomb

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job