Processless Violet Plates?

Started by gtrev, December 20, 2007, 07:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtrev

I'm hoping that next year see's some movement on this - we'd been looking at going process free thermal & upgrading our Heidelberg Prosetter (running violet plates) but after reading this article I'm thinking it may be wise to see how the mop flops next year - any thoughts?

http://printwareinc.com/PDF/Future%20is%20Violet.pdf
What proof?

frailer

Yeah, gtrev, step slowly, if you can. I started researching CTP 2 years ago. Took a year of research/cajoling bosses etc. until finally went CTP in 12/06. We are B2 size. Managed to get full auto "cassettte-to-stacker" cos goth presses same plate. Just lucky. Suppose you are aware of the chalk-and-cheese between old violet, [silver halide based], and new violet, [30 mW+/photopolymer]. This minute I'm just wrapping the pre-hols tank wash out etc. 60-70% 0f this involves the dev. We are anticipating going to Fuji's "chemistry-free" system as soon as it's deemed user-OK. By putting up with the minor downside of some pre-heat/prewash and post wash/gum, there are significant positives in terms of image visibility, stability and run length.
A. Tribute Esq. is da man, IMHO. I was swayed by a couple of his articles 18 months ago, and am super-happy with 30 mW+ violet. If you can hold off for a few months, the view of chem. free should be clearer. PM me if you want; and I can bore you witless with more detail.   :)
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

gtrev

Thanks Frailer, we are running silver halide - Lithostar LAP-V - after three years everybody's sick of the messy clean + water issues are a focus for all of us in this neck of the woods - I'm pretty sure our Prosetter 74 is 30mw (gated down to image current plates) so I'm not sure if we will be able to image these proposed new plates?
What proof?

frailer

Yep, we were lucky/late enough to by-pass the silver halide stage. We've been told by Fuji that our current 30 mW laser will suffice for Chem free. At one stage they were'nt sure about it; maybe a refit to 60 mW; but now not so. We're in different vendor camps, so I will only be of limited help to you. However, you could enquire as to whether the new Fuji chem free plates will go through your setter or not. PM me if you want, and I'll ask a Fuji person here whom you should talk to in the City of Churches. But I'm guessing your current rep/tech should be able to tell you.
Let me know if I can help, either way.
Yeah, water is a bit of an "issue" there, I guess.   ::)
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Marktonk

gtrev,

If your Prosetter is a 30mW, it is capable of imaging both Silver Halide and Photopolymer plates. If it is an earlier 5 mW version, it is field upgradeable to the higher powered laser. Drupa, which starts at the end of May, will bring forth much more information on violet chemfree from several companies.

Regards,

Mark Tonkovich
Heidelberg USA
Product Manager, CtP & Proofing
Mark Tonkovich
Heidelberg USA

frailer

Great advice, Marktonk. Future users of chem-free, I reckon, will be shocked at the low level of maintenance/labour-requirement when they get there. I was in mild shock at this aspect of the move to chem-based violet, from film>plate setup. Suspect gtrev will be similarly impressed if he can leap from silver halide violet CTP to chem-free violet.  ;D

hagar_uk

Quote from: gtrev on December 20, 2007, 07:46:51 PMI'm hoping that next year see's some movement on this - we'd been looking at going process free thermal & upgrading our Heidelberg Prosetter (running violet plates) but after reading this article I'm thinking it may be wise to see how the mop flops next year - any thoughts?

http://printwareinc.com/PDF/Future%20is%20Violet.pdf

It will be interesting to see how things pan out, if they do at at all.  The feedback I have been hearing is these companies are holding on to these plates until someone else releases a plate. based on the fact that a chemfree plate will reduce consumables sales, hence no point releasing them until they have to.

I have seen some of the plates and was pretty impressed. Some CTP units could expect to cross over with minimal setup

steveagfa

Hagar...

"these companies..."?

WRT "this" company, we're in controlled release/sales as we ramp up
the manufacturing and implementation of chem-free violet. This
is typical of any plate introduction.

I can't speak for "them".

Regards,
Steve (no, I'm not Tech Support) Musselman
Agfa Graphics